How are you guys handling the Coronavirus chaos?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HoosierShadow, Mar 12, 2020.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Our Governor is shutting things back down little by little starting today. Apparently no dine in options so all bars/restaurants are carry out only, or maybe outside dinning? I honestly haven't read through the details, but we also don't do any kind of dine in, we always bring it home with the exception of eating at a nearby restaurant out on the picnic table last month.

I worked the horse race meet in Oct, and didn't hear of any issues. Although I do know one media person that had it prior to attending the end of the meet, and she had no symptoms so when she tested positive she was surprised and said nobody around her - roommates, etc. got it, so she still doesn't know where she got it.
    Major horse racing 2 day event a couple of weeks ago, I worked 9 days straight, wasn't in close proximity with many people, but there were still a lot of people there and thousands for the actual races, and so far I've only heard of 1 employee positive. We had 22-23 people there on our team and so far so good. My daughter and I are getting our last post race test done in an hour.

I guess the toilet paper and paper towel craze is starting yet again. I went shopping Wed of last week and there was lots of toilet paper, big packs, small packs, large displays in the middle of the wide aisle with the big packs. I went this Wed? Barely anything on the shelves! Ugh.
    Funny thing is, go around the corner and napkins were completely stocked lol
    I have to go back either tomorrow morning or Sun morning to get a turkey. I don't have freezer space so it has to go in the bottom of the fridge.
    We'll have some inlaws over for Thanksgiving, but we are around these same inlaws regularly - my son works with their sons, and the boys are always here or there. Otherwise it'll be a quiet Turkey day here at home, unless we're working on the new barn!

I may also be starting a job next week, part time at our grocery. Fingers crossed it works out and I don't bring the virus home that way, but really need the income.

2. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Well we are home. We made it with only stops for gas and to pee. We just ate one the road. Cold cuts, cheese, fruit, banana bread and lots of coffee. (It is a 15 hour drive.) We got our shopping done so we will hunker down and stay home as we see what unfolds around us. They are rationing TP again. I did not really need it but bought a pack (not 10) as we do not know how long it will last this time.

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Please stay safe. This thing is going to hang around for a while.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Ohio has some curfew from 10 pm - 5 am. Since I do my chores mostly at night and at 2 different farms about a mile apart, I will be out after curfew! :ahh: OH NO! I may become public enemy #1 again. (like during the buck rag fiasco) Well, I certainly hope that the cops have more important things to do than arrest people for driving after 10 pm! :D

5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Take the dirt roads that they are not on. Or start at the furtherest farm.

6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    A couple of funny mask-related stories:

The first one happened to my husband when he was flying back from my granddad's funeral. He was en route from Dallas to Denver when halfway through the flight, the head steward came and shook him out of his nap.

"Sir! Sir! Your mask is not compliant!"

Phil stirred groggily, not comprehending the problem.

The steward managed to wake Phil up and once again told him his mask was not compliant. Phil said, "Ok." But it was unclear in what way his mask was not compliant or what he was supposed to do about it.

Then the steward said, "Let me get you a compliant mask!" and bustled off.

He returned a few minutes later and handed Phil a disposable paper mask--with one ear loop! Phil looked at it and said, "Uh... what am I supposed to do with this?"

The steward was embarrassed and had to go back and get a different mask which Phil was happy to wear if it made the steward happy, but my husband was disappointed that the compliant mask didn't have goats on it like his homemade one. :(

7. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Second story...

A friend of mine is a radiographer in an urgent care center and they've been wearing their homemade (or purchased) cloth masks all year. Recently a memo went round the office saying that cloth masks weren't good enough--they need to be wearing disposable paper medical masks. So the office ordered a whole bunch of paper masks and soon the big boxes with Chinese lettering arrived at the office.

But there was one phrase written in English: NOT MEDICAL GRADE

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  8. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Amazing (said with utmost sarcasm) that all the Covid 19 "protective" masks are made in China! Where this darn thing is to have originated. Isn't that a bit like the fox guarding the hen house?

Anyone else feel like the evil villain when you put on your mask, go into the grocery store and suddenly have to cough? Or worse, sneeze? (blush)

11. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    lol I am the evil villian for having it situated on my chin and not covering squat. I figure I am wearing a face mask ,technically on my face, and I can breathe. THen again, I am in SC and most are like "Whatever" about the whole thing. All these masks they are encouraging don't do squat really for dust particles so I imagine a virus will have no trouble going through.

toth boer goats likes this.
  12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I saw a news clip about the masks, the person was from the UK- some University- I think. Anyway- she blowed (blew?) cigarette smoke through a variety of masks. Then said that the virus particles were way smaller than the smoke was. Most of the current face wear did pretty much next to nothing to keep the smoke in. The only good ones were the true N95 respirators worn by firemen and front line workers.

Then she made another good comment- if there are evil Covid 19 particles hanging in the air and you keep handling the outside of the mask, you may contaminate your hands. She said treat the mask as if it were covered in poop! So, Basically- wearing any mask we can purchase may be more of a feel good measure and a reminder to cover your face when you cough, than a real Covid deterrent.. I guess.......

toth boer goats, GoofyGoat and Tanya like this.
  13. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Happens to me all of the time. I have seasonal allergies!

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  14. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I can't seem to wrap my head around this concept. I constantly find myself wiping my nose on my mask (which never gets washed and I've been wearing it since May). I've dropped it on the ground several times and once on a bathroom floor. I regularly look down to find my mask wrapped around a shopping cart handle because it's in my hand and somewhere in the parking lot I'll grab a loose cart and forget to take the mask out of my hand first (I've always done the same thing with shopping lists too). I keep opening door handles with it because I forget it's still in my hand and not on my face. The other day I caught myself carrying it around in my mouth because my hands were full! I'm just too absent-minded and not nearly germophobic enough to safely wear a mask. I'm sure if I wore one all the time I'd form better habits, but since I only go out maybe once a week I can't seem to get a handle on it. I should probably put a strap on it so I can hang it around my neck when not in use, but I keep forgetting that too. Oh well. Hopefully, like a toddler licking banister rails, all this carelessness is bolstering up my immune system.

15. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Most time for curfews you do have a legit reason to be out amd police will not bother you after the initial why are you out past curfew. ;).

16. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Well, up until last night I'd say things were fine. Nothing had changed for me, except having to wear a mask while shopping. I never lost work because my 2 off the farm jobs are considered essential ( Hospital Security and Animal Control Officer). However, last night I found out that I had been directly exposed to a person who had an active case of covid, a coworker. I followed him at all duty stations so we shared the same telephone, mouse, keyboard, desk and sometimes, radio mic. He is young and is severely sick. Then today, another coworker is out with it, again, really sick and we work together 2 nights a week, sharing the same equipment at various duty stations. A good % of the time wearing no masks because we were not in direct contact with patients or other staff and were behind a solid Plexiglas wall or in an office with a closed door. I have difficulty breathing when wearing a mask, so I only wear it when I am not in direct contact with patients or non-security staff.

I had planned on going out of state for T day with my family, but given that my mother is 87 (almost 88), my younger brother is 62 and my daughter in law works with cancer patients, I decided to cancel for their benefit.

So now I sit and wait for 2 weeks to see if covid 19 sets up housekeeping in my asthmatic lungs. I need to go shopping tomorrow and stock up on garlic. If I am not sick by T day, I may sign up for a partial shift to get the overtime. Or, maybe not. LOL

17. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Frontline doctors are prescribing the preventives and vitamins that they have had excellent success with. They are doing online appointments for any state.

18. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Good luck. Viral load is definitely an issue when working in close confines with other people.

toth boer goats likes this.
  19. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    I am sorry lottsagoats. My son-in-law is a banker and has been exposed numerous times. Fortunately for him and the family; he has never tested positive. I wish the best for you.
    Our Thanksgiving will be small and somewhat lonely. We will have 6-8 and it looks like fair enough weather to keep windows open or even use our new deck that got very little use this summer.
    (I say lonely because we used to have 15-25!)

20. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    ((((((Hugs)))))) Praying you don't get it and that if you do, it's a mild case.