The Goat Spot Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1310 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Omw! Just saw on our news. There are pharmacies dispensing IVERMECTIN/IVERMOL as a COVID drug. How is an animal dewormer used for this? Really?????
Ivermectin has shown good results in both prevention and treatment of Covid-19. I believe they first discovered that as early as April or May. I'm not sure why it works but it seems to produce decent outcomes. I'm honestly not sure why it hasn't been used more broadly since it's a relatively safe drug. I believe it's used more often as a treatment in second and third world countries than the rest--probably because it's cheap and readily available. There haven't been a lot of studies on it though so I guess that's why it's not being used in richer nations.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'm happy to report that Phil's aunt and uncle are over the hump. Steve was the one we were quite worried about, but he seems to be doing well now. Still a little tired but no longer in danger.

My aunt and uncle down in Texas got Covid in late November and my aunt came down with it pretty bad. My cousin Travis and his family came up to Colorado for a ski trip around New Years and my husband, Phil, asked Travis how his mom was doing.

"Oh, not good at all," he said. "She really got slammed and is having a hard time getting over it."

"So she's still got symptoms?" Phil asked.

"Oh, you mean Covid?" Travis replied. "Oh no, she's over that! I was talking about the election!"

My aunt and uncle are very active in the Republican party down in Texas and were delegates and everything. They'd been working for the last two years to get Trump re-elected so they were quite devastated when he lost (especially my aunt). Phil about died laughing when he realized Travis was talking about the election and not Covid!

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
"Oh, you mean Covid?" Travis replied. "Oh no, she's over that! I was talking about the election!""

Lol..too funny.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Well they havent tested any of the covid vaccines in any true studies like any and all other medicines. Its a guessing game right now. So the side effects aren't made public. The information of the vaccine is not released. And no one knows if it will work or for how long. Right now the side effects are as bad as the virus. So please be cautious..and get your facts from medical or pharmacologic studies. Not the internet.

·
8,071 Posts
My daughter just told me she is pregnant (she'll be a FF). Since she is 35, the doctor ordered all sorts of tests, etc. Praying all is well and not asking any prying questions! But, I am concerned about her getting the vaccine. She is a public school teacher..... Praying (pray) it all works out well, for everyone. I guess she is due to kid in July......:haha: (She is not a goat person- glad she doesn't know this is here!) :heehee:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well they havent tested any of the covid vaccines in any true studies like any and all other medicines. Its a guessing game right now. So the side effects aren't made public. The information of the vaccine is not released. And no one knows if it will work or for how long. Right now the side effects are as bad as the virus. So please be cautious..and get your facts from medical or pharmacologic studies. Not the internet.
Here is the publication for the COVE trial, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, a very reputable journal. This study was well designed and robust.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2035389

At this point there have been millions of doses administered and very few serious adverse events documented. Mine was no worse than the flu shot, with my arm sore for two days. I did get a small lump on day 7 along with some soreness but that's already going away. I hear the booster shot is a doozy, where you get more of the side effects (fever, feeling terrible for a day or two). Mine isn't until the end of the month.

When my vaccine was administered, they gave me a fact sheet like any other vaccine, disclosing known side effects. There was nothing shady. And informed consent that it was an EUA and not FDA approved.

·
8,071 Posts
So, basically, you have to plan that second shot in order to not cause problems with your farm! Since I do most everything alone, I'll have to make sure my son is available to help out if the second shot knocks me for a loop. (not that they are even offering it to the general public around here- it will be months before we see it). Then I need to weigh all sides...... I'm so confused!
(headsmash):ahh::imok: I'm just glad I'm not pregnant!!!!!!! I did my part in that dept. (4 kids, all grown)

·
Registered
841 Posts
You do have to be ready for the second shot. I plan on being out of commission for two days; hopefully it is not that bad. Apparently the younger people with more robust immune systems have more side effects. My husband got his vaccine today so we're about 10 days apart for the booster so can trade off duties.

I just saw this article in the Lancet published today about the after effects of Covid in hospitalized patients 6 months out: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32656-8/fulltext

I know there are a lot of reports about healthcare workers refusing the vaccine but at my center they've administered over 6,000 vaccines so far. I'm thinking it's because we're all seeing the badness of this disease, it's not an abstract thing.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I work at a hospital, security officer, and have to wrestle with uncooperative patients (usually drugged out or mental health patients) who test positive for CV19. We now have to wear goggles along with the masks. They just started with the vaccinations, voluntary at this point as I am not sure they can make experimental drug/vaccine mandatory. I am NOT getting it. I don't trust it. They can't prove it really works, as it was tested on a tiny group of people. Even the label says it "may" work to prevent covid. It was pushed through way too quickly.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My son, who is an EMT got the shot. I know this is not supposed to happen, but he and his wife tested positive a few days later. She just lost her sense of taste, but got tested because she was going to be around my parents. He had fever for 3 or 4 days. He assumed the fever was from the shot, then decided to be tested the day after she tested positive. They don't know who they got it from. Weird coincidence!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
It takes several weeks for any vaccination to become effective and with Covid so prevalent right now there will be a lot of folks who obtain natural immunity before their vaccination has a chance to kick in. At this point there's not much use in speculating over where they got infected. There's so much Covid going round at the moment that it could come from just about any source.

I'm finding it interesting that in our area, only a few people seem to be getting sick. Tons of folks are in quarantine from being exposed because Pueblo county was a hot spot all through November and December. However, only a few have come down with Covid this fall. Last January tons of people in our community were down with a very nasty "flu". My husband and I got it in February and we have no idea where we picked it up since we weren't going out too much around that time. Then in March when everyone was panicking over this new coronavirus, a few of the folks who caught the tail end of the sickness that had already passed through our local schools and churches went in to get tested. They tested positive and they had no idea where they got it because it was assumed that they were among the first positive tests in our area. Nevermind that tests weren't available earlier in the year! At the time I suspected that they were among the last in our community to be hit by the "first wave." The general lack of illness that's happening right now despite lots of exposure seems to be bearing that out.

A lot of the little ski towns in Colorado are experiencing the same thing. I'm quite certain that they were among the first and worst hit in Colorado last year since there is so much international tourism in those places. Their nursing homes took a hard hit last spring but not so much now. It's the big cities in Colorado that got the bigger "wave" this winter but our small towns seem to be getting spared, which would point to a certain baseline of immunity in those places.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,220 ·
I have been out of the loop as far as news, Covid, etc. I am worried about the safety of the vaccine, but know 2 people so far that have had both their shots and so far so good as far as I know.

I started working in the local grocery (biggest store they have in our state), and scares me to get Covid, but really needed to be working to pay for these 4 footed brats and the improvements we're trying to make. All I can do is wear my mask, wash my hands, and use sanitizer religiously and try to avoid people. BUT...OMG you'd think there was no virus and people are just wearing masks for the heck of it, then there are those randoms who come in gloved up, wiping everything down and try to keep their distance. I keep my distance but it's hard to do if someone is speaking and you can't hear/understand them or vice versa, especially the older people. I have to say, I feel so sad for the older people who come in and worry if they will get the virus and how it will affect them, it's so heartbreaking to feel that way when you look at someone.
I wonder if I've come in contact with Covid even if I haven't gotten it. We share devices at work, carts (I fill online orders and honestly love it even though it's exhausting lol), then if you are filling refrigerated or freezer orders your constantly opening doors. I think someone at night may wipe down the doors, but have never seen it. We keep sanitizer in our carts so again, I use it quite often.

I've been trying to call the county clerk to get some info for my son (painted his car and painted over his license plate and it's partially legible lol), and finally today got message that said they've been closed since Wed due to Covid positive.
We're waiting for Thursday to see if in person school will get to start next week, if so, my daughter will be returning to class 2 days a week - she has been doing virtual since March 2020, and we wanted to wait and see how the fall went before letting her go back. It scares me so much, but I know how badly she needs a sense of normal back in her life. She's very isolated. Thankfully the goats are keeping her busy. I want her to change masks through the day, lots of hand washing and sanitizer and lots of praying!

1201 - 1220 of 1310 Posts