The Goat Spot Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1310 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Got my second dose of Moderna yesterday afternoon and it's kicking my butt. Like the flu without respiratory symptoms for me. Fever up to 101.8, hopefully the symptoms will go away tomorrow. The good news is my body is ready to fight the rona now.
And today I feel normal. Just wanted to share my personal experience for anyone on the fence about being vaccinated.

Based on my colleagues and students experiences, if you haven't had covid you react to the second shot, if you have you react to the first, which makes sense since those who have had it have their immune system primed to react. Reactions are all over the place, some get flu like (mine), some upper respiratory stuff, and some GI stuff. I also had a decent headache. My time feeling bad was less than 24 hrs. Based on reports of Covid, I'll take my 24 hrs of feeling bad over covid any day!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Interesting! And it makes total sense. I guess that's why my cousin Tabitha was down for 4 days straight after her first vaccination shot recently. She's a nurse and she didn't think she'd had Covid, but since every other person in her family went down with it she probably had it too and didn't know it. One of her sisters was also asymptomatic and only knew she had it because she's a flight attendant and had to get tested all the time. I guess for those two, the vaccination turned out to be worse than the illness.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yeah, I got to see some of my students in person on Wednesday and was asking how many had gotten the vaccine and which they reacted to. It was consistent that for those who reacted to the first they’d had covid previously.

If nothing else, this will generate a whole ton of fascinating data on vaccines. Hopefully these vaccines can handle the mutations. J&Js vaccine looks very promising, especially for getting it to 3rd world countries since it doesn’t need to be frozen.

·
8,071 Posts
Maybe this should have it's own topic, but- there is a loan out there from the Federal Gov't. Its thru the US Small Business Administration- Disaster Loan Assistance. If you have small business impacted negatively by Covid 19, you can get a low interest loan for 30 years. Up to $25,000 doesn't require collateral! You keep all receipts for 3 years.

Now, I am not a fan of gov't interference- but, with no income and a bunch of hungry goats, no
market for months last year for my milk- I am pretty much destitute. I applied for the loan and got it! ( I sold milk to a cheese maker, wineries were closed, he had too much cheese- didn't need my milk until suddenly, my kids were 6 weeks old, on moms and he wanted milk.. Couldn't wean, when I had the kids off, my milk was low and income was negligable.).

You have to have a legitimate business, show loss, have 2019 tax return, and a few other documents. Not sure if this will help anyone, but it won't hurt to apply.

I'm sure some won't agree with my decision, but this helps pay the hay guy, (our field yields were way down) feed goats until milk sales start in May, etc.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Glad you were able to take advantage of the help! This is what government assistance is for--to help small businesses and ordinary citizens. It makes me furious when huge corporations, universities, giant nonprofits, and other undeserving rich folks take advantage of programs designed for small businesses. It makes me happy when the "little guy" is able to get something back from all the taxes they've paid into the system. We pay the government oodles of money every year and heaven knows they squander and misspend most of it. I'd much rather see the money back in the pockets of ordinary citizens where it can actually do some good!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Our ADGA National show is going to look very different gthis year! Masks need to be worn 24/7, even while sleeping, temp checks daily, not allowed to watch the show ringside unless you are showing that breed (you can watch the livestream on your phone, from your pens). No spectators allowed, wine & cheese is canceled, and they are allowing early release. NO mandatory milk out.
If anyone is interested in reading through the rules, there is a 6 page PDF in the link https://nationalshow.adga.org/covid...SfeV5lfYYprBS8JCft2jdKwgoQFXncMUXVCMu-uoptYIY

I'm so thankful that National show is still a go! So excited, even though nothing is "normal" :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
So glad you got the loan @Goats Rock , your business is the type the loans were intended for.

Bummer about the ADGA national show, I was hoping to go and watch this year since I think it is in Louisville.
It is, but given the circumstances I'm very thankful the show is still a go. Now to practice sleeping with a mask on (rofl) I'm hoping our breed(s) will show earlier in the week, so we can leave and go home early! I love watching the National show. I was really looking forward to watching some of the breed judging in person, but since I'm not showing those breeds I'll just have to watch the livestream.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It is, but given the circumstances I'm very thankful the show is still a go. Now to practice sleeping with a mask on (rofl) I'm hoping our breed(s) will show earlier in the week, so we can leave and go home early! I love watching the National show. I was really looking forward to watching some of the breed judging in person, but since I'm not showing those breeds I'll just have to watch the livestream.
Lol, sleeping with masks on! Do you camp next to your goats? Any idea if spectators can livestream? We're wanting to get into showing soon, but want to see some shows first.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Lol, sleeping with masks on! Do you camp next to your goats? Any idea if spectators can livestream? We're wanting to get into showing soon, but want to see some shows first.
Oh yeah, I always stay with my goats. I just don't trust people ;) AND my goats get upset if I'm not with them. They are calmest if I sleep next to them.

In the years past, the National show has always had a livestream. I think it's a $15-$20 fee, it is so worth it! The National Show is a massive show, your typical spring and fall shows don't have as many goats entered and are more relaxed. You should definitely watch though, you get to see so many beautiful animals! I hardly get anything done when Nationals is going on, I'm glued to the livestream!

·
8,071 Posts
Regarding the ADGA show- do you have to stay the entire time, if you show? I think they are really overreacting about no spectators. Ky and Oh have some really dictatorial governors. Everyone knows the risks, use common sense and everyone should be able to make their own decisions whether to go or watch or whatever.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Regarding the ADGA show- do you have to stay the entire time, if you show? I think they are really overreacting about no spectators. Ky and Oh have some really dictatorial governors. Everyone knows the risks, use common sense and everyone should be able to make their own decisions whether to go or watch or whatever.
As long as you state that you plan to leave early, it looks like they are Ok with early release this year! I can see why they want to limit possible exposure by not allowing spectators, just one less thing for them to worry about. Personally, I think sleeping with a mask on is going to be difficult and very much a hazard. You already have to social distance, it's not like everyone's cots are piled on top of each other! Lol If those are the rules though, I'll follow them. They've already said, violators may be subject board action. I don't want a 3-year ban from ADGA I know those who are running the show are going to deal with a lot of flack, I am not going to add to their stress! We do have hotel reservations, I'll stay with the goats overnight while the others stay in the hotel.

They aren't allowing fans either, which at first freaked me out! Can't have overheated goats! But the facilities are climate controlled, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Well, I learned a new word today: Coronaphobia

It's when people's anxiety over Covid gets so bad that they literally make themselves ill from stress. They allow themselves to worry and become paranoid over every possible risk of exposure to themselves or loves ones, and they get so worked up scrutinizing themselves for possible symptoms that they actually give themselves high blood pressure, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, and other things that actually do feel like Covid symptoms. Apparently this it's becoming more and more common for people to go to the doctor with "Covid-like" symptoms only to discover that they've given themselves these symptoms through constant anxiety!

Aside from that, I can only believe that heightened and prolonged fear and stress has led to much poorer outcomes for a lot of people who actually do come down with Covid. Stress is also well known to directly cause heart disease, which is the number one killer in the U.S. (~655,000/year every year). Yikes! Seems like a prolonged fear of Covid could actually cause people to develop a much deadlier disease than Covid itself!

I can't help but think that many people would be much better off if they weren't so frightened. As goat owners we are all too familiar with the many chronic illnesses and increased susceptibility to disease and infection that is brought on by prolonged stress. Doctors have known about the link between stress and increased risk of illness for ages. Yet no one seems to think it's a good idea to keep societal stress levels low? I still stand by what I said near the beginning of this thread that people should have been encouraged to largely go about their normal business with no shutdowns or school closures, but there should have been regular, common sense PSA's about extra hygiene, with sound information about who is most at-risk and steps they can take to help mitigate these risks (acknowledging that nothing in life is completely without risk and this is actually ok). Instead, alarm bells were constantly sounding about how virtually everyone is at severe risk and we need to do this, that, and the other thing to eliminate all risk!!! That kind of constant hyperbole is not helpful. It might make people more cautious at first, but keep at it and eventually they become either paranoid or indifferent.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Here, the vaccines are single dose. so far only hospital workers have gotten it. I refuse to take it. My body has built its own anti-bodies. I gave a pint of my blood for them to look at. But that is it. I had it 3 times to varying degrees...

1281 - 1300 of 1310 Posts