How bad are black eyed susans?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by New-goat-mom, Jul 5, 2017.

  1. New-goat-mom

    New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

    May 21, 2017
    Texas
    So I read something that said black eyed susans are toxic to goats? My yard is full of them and they are one of my girls favorite treats. Sometimes I will pull and give them the whole plant but usually I pick them each 3 or 4 flowers. Am I feeding poison to my girls? I am talking about the flower Annie is about to eat in this pic.
    anabelle flower-1.jpg
     
  2. ksalvagno

    ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Are they getting sick from it?
     

  3. Buck Naked Boers

    Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

    Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I haven't heard they are poisonous. Jill/goathiker would know. Jill??
     
  4. cheyenne

    cheyenne Junior Member

    370
    Aug 20, 2011
    MO
    Mine eat them all the time! They are even in the hay sometimes. Never heard anything about them being toxic. Where did you read that?
     
  5. New-goat-mom

    New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

    May 21, 2017
    Texas
    They haven't gotten sick so far but don't eat a lot of it. There is an area of my yard I would love to let them clear, however, and it's covered in them.

    I could have sworn I read it on here, but maybe not...I just don't remember. Anyway, I Googled and it was on a list that is toxic to horses but that was all I found.
     
  6. Suzanne_Tyler

    Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

    Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I think I've read it too, but maybe that it's only sometimes poisonous?? If your goats get plenty of copper their systems can handle more toxins.
     
  7. New-goat-mom

    New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

    May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Really? I didn't know that about the copper! That's pretty cool.