How bad is bloat?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by my3kids, May 9, 2008.

1. my3kids

my3kids New Member

May 3, 2008
    :grouphug: Hi, My 4 week old buck, Lester would not take his bottle tonight and he has green diarrhea all over his behind. His barrel feels very bloated. Is this serious or is it just because he has been eating quite a bit of hay recently? Also, is it normal for them to have black spots on their tail? -- Michelle

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    bloat can be serious yes. Not all case are though

To treat bloat give him some baking soda. Add a tad bit of water, enough to make it soft so he can't spit it out. Keep giving this to him till he burps or you can see that he is not bloated. If this is a small enough kid, try bouncing him like you would a colicky baby

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Tap the upper left side of his stomach, if it sounds hollow he is bloated, otherwise he just has a hay belly. The green diarreha tells me that he got into something other than hay.

Black spots on the tail are just like humans with freckles, some have them some don't.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Black spots? What color is his skin? It could be freckles showing up as he gets older. Most goats won't bloat with hay...but if he has green poo then I'd say either too much fresh browse or upset belly, give him a bit of baking soda for now...a small ball made with a bit of water...you'll probably have to fight to get it in him, wait a bit and see if he's burping, bringing up a cud and check for rumen rumbles..left side. If the poo don't start to firm up in a few hours and no later than a day, make sure he stays hydrated and have a fecal run to rule out coccidia, give him pepto bismol to help with the diarhea...my 11 lb kid got 6 cc. so it does depend on the size of your kid.

Most of this is a repeat of the first 2 replies...sorry :oops:

5. my3kids

my3kids New Member

May 3, 2008
    :grouphug: Thanks gals, I will try the baking soda. Also, how old do they have to be to give them vaccines? and which ones are most important? -- Michelle

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not everyone follows the same "schedule" but here's mine:

Doe gets yearly CD/T vaccine 4 weeks before she freshens
    Kids get booster at 2 weeks then second dose at 6 weeks....wormed then also.

I don't give Bo/Se as I've never had an issue with selenium deficiancy, my goats are fed a fortified grain.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I give first vaccination of CD/T at 6 weeks because if you give it before it isnt' effective due to them still nursing and not eating solid foods yet

booster is of course 21 days later

8. my3kids

my3kids New Member

May 3, 2008
    :grouphug: OK, I just gave Lester the baking soda. Didn't like it too well but I guess I wouldn't either. I put him inside for the night and he just doesn't feel good. I will see how he feels tomorrow. If he's not better I will take him to the vet. Thanks

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    one "dose" of baking soda may not be enough so if it looks to be working (message his belly too) give him another little ball of it.