The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all probably know I have two march boer does. How big should i expect them to get? They went through a cycle a couple weeks ago I believe

·
Registered
452 Posts
Boers that I have are different sizes and Wight.One on my does are tiny,while my other one is huge! They are about the same size as there parents.I have a nice huge buck and he has sire some big kids and one of his does won Grand Champion Boer doe at the McLean country fair.Her mother is also is tall but skinny.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay they're both out if show bucks and does. I know ones momma is pretty big but the other one was abandoned by momma and also a couple weeks older and she's the smaller of the two

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
Okay they're both out if show bucks and does. I know ones momma is pretty big but the other one was abandoned by momma and also a couple weeks older and she's the smaller of the two
Some can grown at a slower pas than others. So your smaller doe may get as big as the other in time. :) I have one doe who is out of a really short little doe, and she weighed 125lbs at 6 months old. So I think she is going to be a big doe! Sometimes you just never know!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I have another question for y'all. You know how wethers (I guess bucks probably do this too) hunch up and extend their penis. I've seen my wethers do this. What is this called and why would one of my does be doing this?

·
14,615 Posts
Boers keep on growing until around 4 yrs old.
The buck, pictured at left, was 215 at about 17 mos & much bigger now.
The March girls are a good 100lbs but still don't have a scale. One of them had her first heat two weeks ago.

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
Okay I have another question for y'all. You know how wethers (I guess bucks probably do this too) hunch up and extend their penis. I've seen my wethers do this. What is this called and why would one of my does be doing this?
I'm not sure if it is called anything... ?? I have several does who do it in the show ring. I've always thought it was just them trying to show off, but really don't know. :confused:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When my wether did it the breeder we used said it was a buck thing. Which really makes me curious as to why my doe is doing this

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Boers do grow up to 4 years.

As mentioned, genetics play a big part, plus keeping worms and cocci at bay. Feeding good feed helps them achieve maximum growth too.

The Doe that hunches up like the bucks do, are doing something to please themselves, LOL, I don't know how to put it nicely. ;)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are being shown in October and December and maybe a couple major shows in the spring so they are for sure getting fed like royalty and they love it! She hunches like this every once in a while and then jumps out of it and runs around like crazy. They both run themselves until their tongues are out and panting. They LOVE jumping up and down on the wooden spools, so silly

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
If they are Fullblood I would say 180-200lbs. If they are crossed with something else then I'd say 150-180lbs. If they are crosses it may be more or less depending on what they're crossed with and how much of each breed is in their blood. For any goat's weight it does depend on feed and stature. Some goats are made stocky while other are more feminine.

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
Our does seem to stop growing up at 2 years-ish... but they do fill in after that I know. Every goat is different so it can vary a lot. :) SO much has to do with feed...

A lot of the show does a friend of mine has over here weigh well over 200lbs at 2-3 years old... But they are in VERY good condition. Too much condition at that age and weight I think!

I honestly don't know what a mature doe *should* weigh as it varies so much, but since our 6-7 month olds weigh 110-125 (which is average for being on good feed), I think they could very easily be 200 full grown! That's what I would expect your does to be full grown if they continue to be fed and taken care of well, which I'm sure they will! :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My girls are small. The one that was left by mom and weaned at about 2 months I can easily pick up, I'd say around 60lbs(her name is RAZ) The other girl is bigger and more conditioned. Should the little one be eating more? I just have a black trough for them so I don't really monitor who eats what but I see both of them eat. They are both fullblood registered abga march kids. Raz was a twin with a buck brother. When they banded and weaned the male, mom would not let the Raz nurse so she too was weaned and not bottle fed.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ok I gotta ask the boer breeders this question, I have 2 female boers crosses I think with alpine by the look of the ears. They are 3 almost 4 yrs old, never bred, due to never been around a buck, they was used as roping goats and all they had was does or weathers. Im going to try to breed them this year. What do you think my chances are and what can I do to help out as well as watch out for? Thanks in advance
Laura

1 - 20 of 26 Posts