how big is the smallest adult pygmy you've seen?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by minibarn, Nov 25, 2010.

1. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    i was at a hobby farm recently where i bought 2 nice young does. the lady was selling them because she wanted to breed smaller pygmies. she showed me 2 tiny little does that she claimed were 8-9 months old and they were about the size of my 3 month old. i commented 'they're dehorned' and she said 'oh,no. they have very small horns under the fur.' i didn't get a real close look then but later i wondered whether they're really as old as she says. is it safe to breed such tiny does? she's hoping to find a tiny buck. what's the smallest pygmies you've seen?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    those tiny pygmies are what give the pygmy breed its bad reputation for hard kiddings and deaths during birth. I personally would never breed anything as tiny as you are saying. Especially if they arent growing horns normally that means they have some kind of stunted growth which inpregnanting a young stunted doe will only further complicate things and can lead to death of the mother and or kids.

As to the smallest I have seen, well most pygmies I have seen are actually quite large to most standards but I would put the smallest at 18 inches at the withers. I had one who was 19 at the withers, cute stocky thing - she was 4 years old

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my sister had a purebred pygmy that was 16 inches at the withers.. of course when she bred her we lost the babies and she needed an emergency c-section.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My buck Hank is not registered and he is 18"....Heidi is his daughter, her dam was a nigi/pygmy and Heidi is also 18".....Hank is 6 years and 7 months old and Heidi is 2 years and 9 months old. The smallest I have seen were at 15 inches, which I agree with Stacey, breeding for anything smaller than breed standards as far as NPGA goes is what causes problems with the breed and what also gives the breed a bad rep. I like seeing those stocky box like goats, as long as their build compliments their height.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    From what you described, the main reason for being as small as they are is due to stunted growth, she probably has a horrible cocci problem with her herd. The smallest pygmy i've seen was 15 inches, and is strictly a pet.

6. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    she only had the 2 small goats and the 2 does i bought. they were penned separately, the small from the large. i think she had just recently bought the 2 small ones so they must have been stunted wherever they came from. the 2 i got seem very healthy so far. :thumb: