The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its gonna be cold tonight, like freezing temps cold. They've been staying in an igloo dog house with a heat lamp and hay, but momma didn't sleep in the house with them last night. The babies are 3 days old. Is this okay or should I move them to my basement? Only thing about the basement is there's a gap in the door, so there's a draft.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Its gonna be cold tonight, like freezing temps cold. They've been staying in an igloo dog house with a heat lamp and hay, but momma didn't sleep in the house with them last night. The babies are 3 days old. Is this okay or should I move them to my basement? Only thing about the basement is there's a gap in the door, so there's a draft.
By freezing temps, what do you mean exactly?

Is there wind or snow?

A heat lamp is pretty good for keeping goats warm, but how big is your dog igloo, I couldn't imagine a heat lamp fitting in one... safely that is?

What is their entire shelter like, is the igloo under a covered area or completely out in the elements?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No rain or snow, just cold. Like low 30s cold. I'll post a pic of their set up. It's not in any roofed shelter. Just a small chain link pen.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
I think that should be fine. It would be best to encourage mama to sleep with them for warmth, is there enough space in the igloo for her? Are the kids fairly strong, no weak ones or birth complications? If you can set up something to enclose the entrance a bit more, like a blanket covering it slightly, enough that there is still ventilation though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to last night but she won't stay. I even sat in front of the entrance to see if she'd lay down after a few and she wasn't having it lol I can put a towel there, but won't that block the heat lamp? I don't want to clamp it to the door way. How could I encourage her to stay in there?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just going to move my dogs crate in the basement and put them down there cause I'm too worried about the babies and momma. The daddy is locked up by himself though. He has full 4 walls and a roof shelter equipped with hay and a blanket. Will he be okay by himself?

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
I'm just going to move my dogs crate in the basement and put them down there cause I'm too worried about the babies and momma. The daddy is locked up by himself though. He has full 4 walls and a roof shelter equipped with hay and a blanket. Will he be okay by himself?
Dad will be fine. What about a tarp around and over the whole mama baby set up for the time being? It is really drafts and winds that you need worry about not so much the cold since it isnt sub sub temps (unless it jas just been crazy warm there before tonight) and that the kids have been outside in the weather til now and are healthy.

Pallets are cheap to free and make for good shelters for goats in a pinch. :). You can keep some whole and deconstruct others to fill in the gaps they have with others... nailin them onto the good pallets.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dad will be fine. What about a tarp around and over the whole mama baby set up for the time being? It is really drafts and winds that you need worry about not so much the cold since it isnt sub sub temps (unless it jas just been crazy warm there before tonight) and that the kids have been outside in the weather til now and are healthy.

Pallets are cheap to free and make for good shelters for goats in a pinch. :). You can keep some whole and deconstruct others to fill in the gaps they have with others... nailin them onto the good pallets.
I'm moving them to the basement in the dog crate. I have a 50 lb pit that stays in it at night, so it's pretty big. I'm putting a fuzzy blanket and water bowl in there and a sheet to cover it. Momma still ain't layin down so I feel like this is my best move without worrying about all 3 of them. I read somewhere that fresheners have a hard time staying warm. Not sure if true, but it worries me.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I think, my opinion only, that you are worrying way too much about 30*F temperatures. The heat lamp is probably keeping your doe from going in with kids, too hot.
I am not trying to be negative. They have a fur coat on and are happy, bouncy kids. If they were mine I would put a quilt or sleeping bag over the dogloo to hold more of their heat and let them enjoy the out of doors.

Reactions: Mishyla Gregory

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
I think, my opinion only, that you are worrying way too much about 30*F temperatures. The heat lamp is probably keeping your doe from going in with kids, too hot.
I am not trying to be negative. They have a fur coat on and are happy, bouncy kids. If they were mine I would put a quilt or sleeping bag over the dogloo to hold more of their heat and let them enjoy the out of doors.
I agree. The temps aren't bad for strong fuzzy kids. I definitely think you could take away the heat lamp and cover the igloo more. But putting coverage around the igloo itself, roof and sides, pallets as mentioned above, will help a lot. If they are out of drafts there isn't much concern. But did you say that the buck has a full shelter? You might consider switching them so the mama and babies have what he has and give him the igloo as he can be equipped to dal with it/

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just seen all these replies! Lol sorry guys. Bit I kept them outside last night. I think you're right about the lamp, cause she didn't sleep inside again. I'm going to be moving them to daddy's pin and him over to theirs. I just worried about him being out in the more open cause he screams bloody murder when he's away from her. I worry coyotes will get him.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts