The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 goats, and they are the first ones I have ever had. The are about 10 weeks old and I just brought them home a couple of weeks ago. I want them to be really friendly. How do I do that when they run away every time I come near them?

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
put them in a smaller area pen...sit with them as much as you can..bring fresh food, hay and water daily..and sneak a treat...crackers or banana...something that will get them to come close enough to get it, sit on the ground and just be there..talking to them and reaching out to let them snif you.....after a day or two..grab one (without chasing) and pull it to you and love on him, talk softly ..pet until he relaxes some..then let go put keep petting until he walks away..the grab another..Time and patience is the key to win them....

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
The best thing to do is to spend time with them and just be friendly. Since they are new it will take a little while.for them to settle, but I'm sure that they will come around.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Goats aren't puppies and are naturally human shy.Unlike domestic pets, they do not crave human attention or approval. They need to be socialized. Lots and lots of time just being with them. Daily. Get a bale of straw, put it in the middle of their pen. Sit on one end. One will eventually not be able to resist jumping up on it with you. Pet them gently and give them a treat. A peanut. A raisin. Repeat often and consistently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Goats aren't puppies and are naturally human shy.Unlike domestic pets, they do not crave human attention or approval. They need to be socialized. Lots and lots of time just being with them. Daily. Get a bale of straw, put it in the middle of their pen. Sit on one end. One will eventually not be able to resist jumping up on it with you. Pet them gently and give them a treat. A peanut. A raisin. Repeat often and consistently.
Ok will do. I have tried raisins but they wouldn't eat them or any other treats that I had heard they would like. I will try peanuts.

·
Registered
635 Posts
tortilla chips, soda crackers, fruit, sunflower seeds in the shell. Just experiment. Some of my goats adore grapes and tomatoes, others not so much. You won't hurt them unless you let them pig on something they're not used to. But you won't do that, no.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
tortilla chips, soda crackers, fruit, sunflower seeds in the shell. Just experiment. Some of my goats adore grapes and tomatoes, others not so much. You won't hurt them unless you let them pig on something they're not used to. But you won't do that, no.
Cut up oranges, too.

·
7 Posts
I bring my goats fruit "leavings" almost every day and hand feed it to them... paying special attention to the shy ones. Once they come in for a treat, I hold them steady and scratch their chests, try to keep them calm... til they've had enough and want away. They usually come around, but it can take a while. I still have a couple adult ladies that are a little skittish, but they love their fruit! Mine love orange peels, banana peels, watermelon rinds, pineapple rinds, etc. I've tried putting a smear of the fruit on the goat's nose to get them to lick it off and try the new food that way, for those who turn their noses up at the raisins, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to go out with really yummy treats and call distinctively to them "Goatie, goatie, goatie, goatie, goat). They learned they only got the special treats when I called to them, so they ran to me when I called. Once they associated me with good stuff, I started petting them as I treated them. They started to act like big dogs. As a matter of fact, a few times they ran onto the porch and into the house with the dogs!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts