How can you tell?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Iwantgoats, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I'm not sure if I'm in the right spot for posting this or not. If not mod. please move, thank you.

How can you tell by looking at a kid if it conforms or not? How should it look? I don't want to purchase one and then when it gets older have problems or deformity because I didn't know what I was doing, does that make sense, lol. See the questions are already rolling around :wink:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i've done it myself. kids change very quickly at a young age, and it can be surpeising how much different they look at birth and at an older age. it does help to know the standard when choosing any breed though. which breed?

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Kids are a bit tricky when it comes to conformation, you have to know what you are looking for and really you have to see them in person to get the full idea, now if the breeder knows what they are doing and are honest with you they can tell you what they like/don't like about the particular kid. Buying a new kid/goat is always a gamble, but sometimes you win!

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Also make sure you check out the parents...that will tell you a lot.

5. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Look at both dam and sire. If possible look their dam&sire. Then look at the kids.

6. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I should have called this the "Iwantgoats questions thread"

Next question: What in your opinion is the best goat registry and why?

I am leaning toward nubians, something small. I have lots more questions and will continue asking them in this thread, that way I don't have to start a new one everytime. All of your answers and replies are much appreciated, thank you :)

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I'm don't think of small when I picture a Nubian. They may be a little smaller then say a Saanen. But, you'd have to go with a Mini-Nubian if you want a small Nubian. Do you have Nubian breeders in your area?

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    A Nubian is not a goat that pops in my mind when I think of a small goat. Nigerian Dwarf goats are small. You could also get (as someone mentioned) a Mini-Nubian (the mix of a Nigerian Dwarf and a Nubian). I hear they milk as much as a full-size but are a much more manageable size. I would love to get a Mini-Nubian. . . . . someday.

With Dairy Goats, my first pick is ADGA (American Dairy Goat Association) - a really good organization that registers full-bloods, Grades, and Experimentals (not sure if I got that right). But your goat does not have to be pure-bred to be registered with them. AGS (American Goat Society) is also great but they only register pure-bred goats, no grades, yet. I think they were discussing it. . . . AGS is cheaper than ADGA.

ADGA is good, they have a lot of shows, offer Linear Appraisal, milk testing, all that good stuff. I have noticed that they are not quite as nice as AGS though, in their customer service, but that's just what I've noted in my brief time working with them.

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Iwantgoats, One thing I kind of wish we would have done was go to different fairs & shows to really learn confimation before we got goats.
    I was very fortunate in that the breeder I did find was totally up front & honest.
    About all I knew in those days was that I wanted long straight backs. We have Boers & one full size Nubian, all from the same breeder. She was bought unseen as all I wanted was a family milker. This is how much I trust this person.
    Even going in her buck pen a few years later to look for someone to lease she could tell me what their strengths & weaknesses were so I could make a good pick.
    I have also found that different kids grow different if that makes sense. Gangly teenagers dont always show their stuff.
    Some lines are slower growing. Two Boer doelings were pipsqueeks compared to the rest. One bottle fed and one dam raised.
    They are now huge, you'd never guess they started out a few lbs smaller than their siblings.

10. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    Please allow me to correct myself. I actually meant nigerian not nubian, I don't know where that came from, lol. :greengrin:

What is the main reason for having registered? Is it for show or for reproduction sales or something else? What would be the ideal ones to start with...wethers, pregnant does, kids?

See lots of questions. I already have a few more in my head rolling around. I have a notebook that is tabbed out with headings 1. Garden 2. Chickens 3. Goats. I'm keeping all the notes. I have read many books from the library but it's just not the same as getting the real scoop from actual people who keep them.

Again, Thank you for all your input and keep the answers coming. Eventually I will beable to post pics of my very own :pray:

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, that makes more sense then. Yeah, Nigerians are great and so much fun to keep! :D

We have registered because it is pretty popular in our area to have papers. We've always had papered goats and I just like it that way myself. I love looking at pedigrees and knowing where my goats came from, exact birthdates, etc. Registered animals (in our area) go for a great deal more than unregistered. Unregistered Nigerians in our area are sold for about 150, whereas the registered, I have sold for $350+ for does.

Wethers make awesome pets and brush eaters but that's about it. I recommend often to newer goat owners to get a wether and a doe or two does (especially if they want year-round milk supply). If you can get babies, that is always nice as you can tame them and get them used to handling and such (it's always fun watching "kid antics"). Sometimes, breeders will sell mature does as bred or open - this is nice but oftentimes it is because there is something about that doe they dislike (not all the time, but sometimes).

Our first Nigerians were a bred doe (she kidded w/ quads and I kept a doeling). We also bought a buckling along with her and two mature does from another breeder. It was a very good starter herd. We sold one of the mature does (didn't care so much for her conformation but she found a great home!) The buck, two other does, and doe kid are still with us.

Hope that helps a little and makes sense. Didn't really look through it after typing. . . .