how can....??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Jul 2, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    HOw can the goats have soft stools but have a negative fecal :GAAH:

Any ideas?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Stress? New grain? Severe weather changes?

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, it can be from a lot of different things. Upset tummy. You name it.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine have had these on and off with the weather....a few chilly nights or even the amount of rain...all had been wormed and lids check out fine so after 1 or 2 days off " dog poo" they go back to normal.

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I just went through (I hope it's through) a bout with Timber of clumping poops. At first I thought worms- two wormings later, I thought "It couldn't be Cocci at her age, could it?" and put her on a treatment with the kid for awhile- no improvement.
    Then I happen to see that she was squeezing her shoulders through the opening for the kid's creep feed and cleaning it out. And she was pushing the other doe away from her grain bucket too. So it turned out she was over eating. I stopped creep feeding and stood by til the girls finished their grain. And voila- poops back to normal.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i just tattoo'd the 5 kids i have left on the farm, 3 of them got the squirts from the stress. now their fine the day after. lots of things cause it,

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    kids are fine --- just the adults. Destiny is one of them but I can't figure out if anyone else is pooping abnormally. I know Aspen and Jasper are fine so that leaves Mia or Sweet Pea.

Nothing has changed. Food is the same (ok new bag but still the same feed) weather has been the same if not cooler. And they have been wormed and that seemed to help but then it went back to soft stools and then I followed up the wormer 7-10 days later and it worked then the day following back to soft stools again :GAAH:

So I got the fecal done and from what I am told it is "negative" But I didnt' get to ask more as teh light turned green and I didn't want to drive and talk at the same time.

Will try calling tomorrow for specifics.

I am thinking of trying a strongyle wormer though as I did see some tapeworm eggs in the fecal I did.

8. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Are they get any green grass, weeds or leaves? That will do it. I have a couple who balance on their back legs and wait for the wind to blow the tree limbs down do they can grab a bit or two. Shelly

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes they are out browsing all the time

10. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Fresh greens will give soft stools. I have one who always has soft stools from march till every thing dies back about sept/oct. Just the way fresh green affect her. Use to freak me out now I just watch to make sure it her with the soft stool and not one of the others. Shelly

11. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
  12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wish I could feed whole grain! Mine is a textured grain but of course it has some pellets in it as well.

Well today they were in with the dogs all day long which has a lot of grass and weeds so they had a ball. Lets see how their stools are tomorrow

It is only Destiny and possibly one other doe but I never catch anyone else pooping :shrug: Aspen is fine her I did see poop a couple times.

Well I will just not worry about it I guess. Still bothers me though as by now they should be fine with all that browse. This isn't the first year for them to get browse. GOATS :GAAH:

13. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    I had asked our vet the same thing when he was here last time. He said that with all the rain they are eating more wet grass and browse. So just like us, if your diet is softer so is your poop. (His wording)

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no much rain around here anymore.

but I will try to take all yalls word for it and not worry :worried: ...............yah right :ROFL: :wink: