How clean do you clean?~goatpens~

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sonrise Farm, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    How clean do you clean?
    Do you clean your pens as much in winter as you do in summer?
    How many times a week do you clean your pens?
    Do you disinfect, and if so, with what?
    What do you do with the heap when it's gotten too big?

2. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i keep the barn stripped bare during the summer
    in the winter i let it build up then scrape it out in the spring
    the pile is left to rot and used for the garden

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Our goat stalls are bedded with shavings and once a week we go in and take out everything and spread new shavings down. We tried the hay build up idea- and it just always seemed damp and was impossible to clean come spring! I think its just easier to take everything out once a week, keeps everything nice and fresh and dry.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with.....ProctorHillFarm....except I will add...the smell is horrible if you leave it piling up,and clean it out months later...
    but this is just the way I do it also....Others here do believe in the build up to keep them warmer in the winter.

heavenlyhaven...I do the same thing in the summer time, the goats will not... go in all summer ...to bed down.. they all want to sleep outside.....

It is all up to you.....on this subject ...what works for one ...may not work well for others.... :wink:

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I let the shavings pile up during the winter and shovel it to the garden in the spring. I changed it early this winter because I have a doe fixing to kid and then wished I hadn't. We had an ice storm right after that and the extra would have been warmer for them. In the summer there is no bedding and its swept out when it needs it. They don't use the goat house much then, only if its raining.

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    When it's too too cold, I just let the hay build up, and I will add more straw to the mess, I think it is good insulation. I like the idea of keeping it stripped in the summer, but we only get a few real warm nights up here, the goats sleep inside most of the year..I would like to strip out weekly, and if it's normal rainy weather that is what i do.
    I have a huge pile of compost that I put the muck into if i get too much in the garden. The neighbors like to use it!!

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I do just as everyone else does. In the summer I literally take a broom or one of the large sweepers and sweep out the barn every morning. Sometimes in the evening too if they were in the barn a lot one day. During the cooler months I let things build up to keep them warm. Composting bedding puts off heat so that in turn helps keep the goats warm. I just make sure the top layer is clean and fresh.

The spring clean out is loads of fun. ;) Its time to remove the deep litter method and then keep it clear for the summer.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do the "build up" in the winter starting in mid December....it doesn't get extremely cold here til around that time so the last time I strip out is around the 1st. I do a major cleanout again on the first "warm" day come the end of January and again the end of March. Since it is still a bit chilly in the early Spring I clean out about 2x a month til the end of May then the goat areas are kept completely bare and swept daily. Usually I do a major clean up before the new kids join the "herd" and leave the kidding stalls...once the common area is cleaned out well, I take a spray bottle with 25% bleach and 75% water and spray everything...nooks and crannies as well as the mounted hay racks, of course the goats are outside when I do this and I have all the windows open to speed up the drying time.

The manure pile gets massive with all this cleaning....and by the time the end of May comes around, it has composted very well....right now it's 20* outside and it's steaming! Neighbors get plenty use out of it too.

The yard itself gets a good raking and since it's on a hillside a good rain washes all the berries to the bottom panel...I then use a shovel and add that to the composting pile.

9. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I let it build up in the winter and clean once a week or so in the summer time. We scrub and disinfect the barn with Clorox or Vanodine 1 time a year, I do sprinkle lime down after each cleaning.

Now my milk room gets cleaned daily and disinfected weekly unless needed more than that.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I clean the barns at least once a week, summer and winter. Summer, I try to keep things as bare as possible. Winter, I let hay pile in certain places but not all over. I can't stand it when there are piles of poo and it stinks.

At home, I keep a couple x-large garbage bins in the barn and a shovel. Every day I shovel some of the poop and soiled hay but always leave lots of bedding still down. I take the bottom layer out at least once a week. Most of the goat poop I give away for free but sometimes I am able to sell it. Some also goes to my mom's garden and composting bin.

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Well, our pen is pretty big, about 7 acres. And then there are a couple sheds by the gate that they can got in and out of as they please and at night they all like to bed down in there. Anywho, so we put fresh straw down 2x a week, about 5 bales in each and let it pile up. There has been very little smell and it has worked very well. Since we get barely any rain here and were basically in a desert, it all dries out by June and that's when we take the backhoe and clean it out. But the goats are in a nice big open space so the poop doesn't pile up as bad for us compared to a smaller size pen.

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well, i keep it stripped in the summer, there usually not in their pens anyway then...in the large area or laying around sunbathing.

and let it stay in the winter because i'd break my back trying to chip out frozen straw. But the clean up in the spring isnt that bad.

13. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    Here in Fl we do not really have winter so the only time they are in is when they are at the end of their pregencies and till the kids are about 2 weeks old. I pick through each stall and remove as many berries as possible , and all the wet spots. Adding more bedding and shavings.The out side shelters get a cleaning as needed , about once a week I go in them and take out the bedding and wet stuff. I have my place divided into 5 paddock that range in size 1/2 to 3/4 of a acre each. Depending on how many goats are in each I go out with a leaf blower (walk behind kind) and blow all the berries to 1 end of the paddock and then remove it all.About once a week . It sure beats hand raking. It take about 45 mins for a 1/2 acre By removing the berries from their pastures I have never had a worm problem. I like to keep where the babies are real clean .

14. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    We live in Northern Minnesota where it gets very cold.... it was in the single digits the first week of December.... double digit negatives in January.... basically, I let the manure pile up after Thanksgiving until probably the end of March. Then strip it all out, barn-lime then pen and put down fresh once the temps are close to freezing for overnight lows. Yes, it does stink in the barn, but usually StinkyButt is in rutt and it smells horrible anyway.