How common is this?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by fcnubian, Jan 27, 2009.

1. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    How common is, does not filling up an udder prior to kidding? (As in no udder development prior to kidding except they day of or before kidding...)

Georgia has me concerned. Her first due date is Jan 28-30th. I didn't believe she took because she's just not that big at all. Her second due date is March 12th.

Her vulva was really pink today. She's had discharge to. When I got home from my friends this evening, she had a glob of discharge that wasn't a white or clear kind, is was kinda off white, yellow looking kind.

Never had a doe with colored discharge this far from kidding. Now I've had them with clear and cloudy discharge but not this kind. I have a photo, the way the photo took, it doesn't show just how pink she is...

Her ligaments are normal, no change in them, no udder.... She does keep stretching to.

I hope she's not aborting. I'm going to keep an eye on her. Whether lose a bit of sleep doing a night check and her not kid, then to walk out there in the morning to find a surprise. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I dont think it's very common, but I know first hand that it happens. I had a doe do that last year. I also had a doe with a little bit of discharge that color as well about a month form kidding, so maybe I'm just contradicting myself. :wink: I think you have the right idea, there's not much you can do but keep an eye on her and keep a feel on her ligs for a few days. I think she'll make it to march, but that's just my little bit of guess.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She does look to have an udder started, I've had does with yellowish looking discharge later in pregnancy...but more like a few weeks from delivery. I also had a 9 month old doeling deliver with no udder to speak of, had to supplement her kid with a bottle for 1-2 days until her milk came in at 3 days past delivery, not a big udder either, she kept a handful size for 8 weeks though....I dried her off due to her age.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm I dont remember what mine did, sometimes they have a discharge but I dont know how far from kidding it was, I had so many does due I had a hard time remembering last year. In years previous I dont think i have seen anything like that so far from kidding but doesnt mean my mind isnt failing me.

And no I havent had a doe not produce an udder before kidding. All mine have had at least something even if it was small.

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    All my does have udders started two months or so before kidding, but I have heard of some that don't..

6. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I don't know how common it is but it happens ! Its happen to me yesterday. FF w/a utter the size of a orange . She delivered twins ,had a tiny bit at 4 when she had them and by 8pm she had nothing. I am hoping when I go out in a lil bitshe will have something . I am not looking forward to bottle feeding them.I'll let you know
    Karen

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Angel had a little udder forming and then it kind of stopped...then she had a stillborn kid...Bambi was pg at the same time...her udder kept getting bigger until she delivered. All my other does had normal udder developement.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We had a few does last year that did not udder up before kidding, they kidded with little or not milk but then it came in about a day later. they had been fine the year before so idk what it was :shrug:

9. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    how is she this morning Amy?

10. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. She's been ok all day today. No change. Still very pink and swollen lookin. I'll keep an eye on her for a few days but I doubt she'll kid on this due date. But I have never seen any of my does (Nubians or Pygmys) have that much and that color of discharge at one time, this far away from kidding....if she kids in march she has a little over 40 days left.

Im going to check her before I go to bed. If she would happen to kid with out uddering up, its no big deal. I have colostrum in the freezer from last year. :D :thumb: