How concerned should i be ???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MiddleRiver, Apr 14, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    I brought a buckling to be disbudded yesterday evening, the disbudding went well it seemed, however it is a 20 min. ride each way to bring him, and on the way home i held him while DH drove. The stress seemed to start on the way home, he screamed a lot and got warm ( started panting ) so we got him back to mom ASAP. She smelled him and rejected him ! So i put her on the milkstand and let him nurse - he did very well. Then i put mom away and put some Vet RX on her nose to cover up his funny smell - that seemed to work and she cuddled up with him. He seemed to be in some pain - i've never noticed pain really with the other kids-but he was baaaing quietly here and there, and just wasn't his super happy self, so i gave him a 1/4 cc of banimine - i hope this was ok - it seemed to help him get much more comfy. He was sore and not comfortable this morning again so i gave him another 1/4 cc. of banimine.

Also this morning his dam was fuller then usual as though he hadn't ate as much. His belly didn't seem full, nor empty. I put him on the stand to have him nurse her before i milked her and he butted her udder a couple times, brought the teat into his mouth then spit it out - he did this a couple times then wanted nothing to do with it so i milked as i had to get to work.

Whats going on here ? will he just come out of this ? It is serious or is he just sore and will be 100% soon again ? What can i or should i do or not do ?

Thanks !

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am not able to tell you anything about this beings I do not dis bud,. But I just wanted to tell you I hope all is fine.
    Keep us posted. I am sure you will have a lot of answers very soon from the experts.

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    Thanks sweetgoats - i'm quite worried about him. He isn't flat out sick, but i do know that just being "off" like he is can lead to serious things quickly. i sure hope he comes around soon - he is my favorite of this years kids due to his funny and super sweet attitude :+) Plus he and his dam are sold and leaving either Tue. or Thur. for thier new home.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did the vet give him anything? Did he sedate him or give tetanus antitoxin? Sounds kind of like he had a reaction to something.
    The banamine is fine but it can cause liver damage after a while so you can't give it for more than three days.

He might just be sore, some kids take it better than others. Do you have a temp on him?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how old was the buckling when done? The older they are the more tramatic it seems for them.

If tonight his mom's udder is still full, syringe feed him some milk. He has like a migrain and his body says "Im hungry" but the action of sucking makes the migrain worse!

The banimine will help him and if in another day or so he isn't his happy self then I would really worry.

I have had this happen 2 other times in the past few years with older bucklings (4 weeks) when I disbudded them. They do eventually snap out of it.

6. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    Thanks everybody. I didn't bring him to my vet, i brought him to a friend that is experianced at it. He is two weeks old - actually 15 days old on the day of disbudding - i wanted to bring him a at 7 days old but they were not able to till now :+(

What should his temp be ? The same as an adult ? I'll take it as soon as i get home from work this afternoon.

Stacy - that makes sense, he went to eat, but then decided it wasn't such a good idea and never did nurse. I will force him to eat something if it appears he hasn't ate today.

I only planned on giving him 2 doses of banimine, but if he seems like he could still use it, will 3 total doses ( one more when i get home ) be too much ?

I sure hope he is back to normal when i get home.

7. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    Oh shoot i forgot to mention i also knew he was in pain yesterday as once we got him home he was also grinding his teeth a little bit - i think i MAY have heard it once this morning as well - then i gave him the banimine again.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If he seems really bad off tonight then I would give the banamine otherwise I would give it tomorrow if he needs it.
    His temp should be the same as an adult 101-104. You can try giving some b-complex to help his appetite.
    The teeth grinding can mean he is in pain, or chewing something. My guys grind their teeth all the time! :roll:

Since he was a bit older I am sure he is just taking it a bit harder. Hopefully all will be well tonight. :hug:

That makes my head hurt just thinking about it Stacey! :wink:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes normal temp is 101.5-104

Yes I do hope he is getting back to normal for you when you get home.

I freeked out when Rocky did this but my mom insisted he would be ok, and he was. I freeked out again for other reasons when Owen went through the same thing (I think he was 2 weeks old, but a BIG boy) so yup I know what you are going through. But thankfully both boys are happy and healthy to this day!

10. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    Thanks you two - you are making me feel much better. I just worry so easy about these guys, and it's so sad to see a little guy hurting.

I think i will try some vit. B when i get home. All i have is the fortified Vit. B complex - what would the dose be for him ( i prefer injection, but would orally be better ? ) ?

As long as he starts eating again soon i'm sure being the rest of the way normal will follow, i just don't like the not really wanting to eat and lack of energy - it's scary.

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I disbudded 7 kids with the help of my vet. One boy, the smallest, took a little longer then the others to "get over it". The others were up and going almost immediately. But, after a day or so he was going with the others. Having said that I have heard that if the heat is held on there too long it can cause problems, you might want to "touch base" with your vet to see what his/her opinion is on the subject.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Something you might try before and after you disbud. I give my goats Arnica Montana for 3-4 days before i band, and two days after. They never act like anything ever happened to them like the years before. I band them and they go right back to mom and act like nothing was done. They never go lay down like they did before or anything. Arnica Montana is like a natural pain killer. I also use Tjuah. OK, i bet I have it spelled wrong. I was told by a Dr, years ago before I went into Surgery, to take both of them 3-4 days before my surgery, and a few days after. He told me that it help the body heal faster after surgery or any procedure. If I am working in the yard or something like throwing hay and I am sore, I take the Arniac.
    So in that long answer, I would try to get him some of that. They are very little pills tha tdesolve as soon as they are in water. I put them in a syringe and add the water and give it orally.

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Were do you get this Arnica Montana?

14. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    Yes, where do you get Arnica Montana ?

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You can get it at health food stores like Whole Foods. From what I've seen it comes in 6c and 30c normally. Don't know which one you would get for a goat. lol. Which do you use sweetgoats?

The B-complex can go SQ, IM or orally. If you give orally its 1cc more. I think I would give him 1-2 ccs someone correct me if I am wrong.

I just had to touch up one of my girls the other day. She got so stressed the first time I decided to try giving her some rescue remedy before hand and it helped her out a lot. Helps me out too! :lol:

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, RunAround, it sounds like you use it also.
    I sue the 6c. They say the 6c is more for a local area. (banding, broken arm, dehorning). Then the 30c is more for like full body sore, (running, overworking) and so on.
    If you go to any store that sells natural things, Whole foods, vitamin Cottage, they all should have it. I go to the Vitamins Cottage here because it is cheaper then Whole Foods, but hey if that is all that is around, then it works great.
    I also use the Rescue remedy and YES it works on both the animals and us.

I have a dog that is SO scared of thunder. For years we have had to sedate him if the storms are really bad and IF we are home. He will go right through a window to try to get away from the noise. The vet said years ago to just put him down unless we were willing to DEAL with it. Yep we are dealing with it. He ate right through a wall one storm last year. If I am home I give him 5 of the 6c, Arnica and he relaxes during the storms, or I use the rescue remedy and he does every well with that also. It depends on what I can get to first.
    I never go with out having at least three bottles around. One is in the Med kit and stays there, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom.
    Rescue Remedy, one in the Med kit and one in MY purse, and one int he kitchen.

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just started to use it. All the over the counter pain killers make me really sick to my stomach no matter how I take them. Guess I just took them too much for my arthritis. So, I figured I would give the arnica a try.

Thanks for the info! :)

18. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    I'm going to have to get me some of this stuff i think, where do you get the rescue remedy ?

I have a new question reguarding my buckling and do - i'm starting a new thread, please reply to that if you have any ideas.

Thanks !

19. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Actually 6c is recommended for humans, 30c is the most recommended potency for animals. You can get it at the health food store(if you can get 30x that would be good too) Give it to him two times a day until you see that he doesn't appear to be in pain anymore. Two weeks is pretty old to disbud a boy, so I"m sure he's hurting.

For remedies(btw, homeopathic remedies are for animals and humans, so everything is interchangable, so to say) I take three pellets and put it in a clean syringe(minus needle) and suck up some clean water, all they need is a drop in the mouth. Before you give it, shake it up to reenergize it.

When we disbud, we give the remedy Aconitum 30c about an hour before, this calms them and makes it less stressful on them. Then right after disbudding we give them Arnica which will take care of the pain. Usually one dose takes care of it after disbudding, but if he is still having problems give it to him for a while.