The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my very good freind just found out her goats have CAE. They are like dogs to her, so I know culling is out of the question. Anyways, she comes to our house and helps me with goats all the time, and I was wondering if this would be a problem? Will her being in contact with her goats and them mine be problematic? It would be awful if I had to tell her not to get near the goats at all. Thanks

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I don't have very much experience with CAE, but have more than people who have no experience!

Does she breed her goats/are they milking? Are they horned or disbudded? The biggest ways of transfer are milk and blood, so obviously if she's milking the goats and then comes to your place there is a risk, but also if they are disbudded and have the slightest scurs, and then fight and break them off, she could transfer it through that blood.
Overall, the chance is slim-the only precaution that I'd take is to ask her to change into clean clothes and wash her hands and arms before coming to your place. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. She has one polled wether and a disbudded doe that are affected. I'm not sure if she will continue milking the doe or not. Because my goats and hers have been together before, I'm getting mine tested agian. Also does anyone know what the price of scrapie tags are? I am getting them now since I'll be pulling blood for the CAE test.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well I can help on the tags! I’ve been calling all morning about those lol it is $0.70each (20 for $16 minimum of 20) if you go threw Ytec, $12 for 20 tiny ones threw primer1 and will get free shipping if you spend $100 or more. As far as I know though you do NOT need scrapies tags to test for CEA. If your looking at a form and it’s asking about tag numbers then just pretend they have a tag. Put 100 for goat “daisy”. They are just after IDs of the goats. Now of course if it says scrapies then do so but I have never heard of needing the scrapies tags especially since registered goats with tattoos wouldn’t even need a scrapies tag anyways.
But I agree with the rest on transferring. Just make sure she doesn’t wear her farm shoes to your house. This is a good idea with anyone and even yourself going to any farm no matter if everything is tested clean or not

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks. I've been calling all day too and I'm really getting nothing. So the show I'm going to says you need a scrapie tag to bring your goat... but I have never seen a show dairy goat with a tag at all. Maybe they thought I was talking about sheep? I'm very confused.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If the show is not ADGA sanctioned, the committee may not know that the scrapie tag can be a tattoo for dairy goats, so talk to dairy goat folks that show there, and make sure you won’t have any trouble when you come in with no tags.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
For my fair it's tags or leave your animals at home. Call them and ask since they are tattooed if you still need the tag though. You can attempt to be......pushy, and let them know the rules are tattooed animals are exempt from the tags but be prepared to be told "sucks to be you".
Here's a link and on it though is a number you can call to get the process going for the program. It should also give you some info and hopefully answer some questions. Even if you are exempt on the show I would still sign up and get some tags. You may end up selling out if state (a lot of states require a tag even if tattooed) or as commercial or so on so wouldn't hurt to have some on hand
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...apie-eradication-program/ct_to_order_ear_tags
Now the plastic ones you have to pay for, they used to be free :/ but they do give out metal tags for free but many people claim they are bad about getting infected. Personally what I'm going to do is get both. Any private sales that need a tag will get plastic and any that need to go to the sale yard (culled) will get a metal one. Most will end up being on someone's table before any infection will set in, at least that's the way I'm looking at it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts