How could I be so stupid?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KLSpoultry, Apr 30, 2009.

1. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Well, my little baby Igor was sick today. He wouldn't eat, wouldn't go to the bathroom and just slept. I took him to the vet and he asked me what shots I gave him when he was banded. :shrug: What shots??? I just got him and the people I got him from banded and dehorned him, they didn't say anything about shots or anything. I MADE MY OWN BABY SICK!! :tears:

The vet said Igor had a fever and he was in a lot of pain. He gave him Banamine, anitbiotics and tetanus antitoxin. He also checked his poop and gave me some wormer to take home. Igor ate a little for me around 6pm. I'm supposed to call the vet tomorrow and let him know how Igor is doing. I feel so stupid and so horrible that my ignorance caused Igor pain and suffering. :doh:

Hopefully he forgives me and gets better soon. :pray:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    dont be too hard on yourself.

now you know what to do! :thumb:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How old is he?

If he was just banded AND weaned the day you go him, it is stressful on the little guys. I banded a 6 week old on Monday and he won't be leaving until next week, he also had his shot a few days prior to the banding and has been with mom thru the day, away from her at night so when he leaves he's not in total shock.

Don't beat yourself up, you didn't know and he is lucky to have such a sensitive goatmama :hug:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I never give mine shots when they are banded or disbudded - he must be extra sensitive. Glad that vet saw him and I know he will be on the road to recovery real quick :)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    We are always saddened when our goaties get sick... :( you took him to the vet... so you are a very good goat mommy.....now your little guy is...in less pain and on the road to recovery.......he should be on the mend... very soon.......you are not stupid in my book......give yourself a big hug ...and here is one from me.... :hug:

6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Don't be so hard on yourself, you did great taking him to the vet. :hug:

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Dont be so hard on yourself, even people who have had goats for thirty years have sick cases. It happens. Just know that you are doing your best to makehim better.
    beth

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am glad to hear that you took him in - that is great that you were able to know that something was not right.

I, also, do not give mine anything when I band (although I have banamine on hand now, so I might) - but no vaccines. I do try to give the vaccine at least a week early though. Now when I disbudd, I do give a pen injection - don't ask why - it just makes me feel better for myself and know if doesn't do a dang thing - lol

9. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Thanks everyone!

Igor is doing much better! :wahoo:

He is eating normally now and is playing like crazy. I feel much better and I am very glad I took him into the vet.

The vet told me that I should stop feeding him a bottle at noon and leave alfalfa and grain out for him all the time. He said he needs to start eating more solid foods now and should be weaned @ 30 days old. Is that what you all do?

Igor is almost 4 weeks old, he was born 4/4 and he is getting about 14 oz. of milk replacer 3x a day.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh that is terrific news....I am so happy for you.... and Igor..... :wink: :hug: :leap:

11. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
  12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Good news that he is doing better. But no your vet is wrong that he should be weaned at one month of age. The VERY soonest he can be weaned is six weeks. Most goats nurse until they are three months old. I bottle feed my kids until they are six months in some cases. You can start offering him grain and hay to nibble on at one month as this is when his rumen will start working. and you can cut him down to two or three bottles a day. But no you cant completly wean him off the bottle yet.
    beth

13. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Glad to hear he's better! I agree with sparks about weaning though

14. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    We fully ween our babies when they are 3 to 4 months old. When they are eatting solid food and holding there weight. I only have 4 babies on a bottle and one that likes to steal a drink or two when he can. You did nothign wrong to your baby. Good job taken him to the vet. Give yourself a hug and Igor a hug for me. You are a worry wort like me. Friday when we take a new load of ponies to get there coggins I will be getting the results on my little Guy Dude. I had a few test runned on his heart to see if he is alright.