How did you decide on your herd tattoo?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dunfactor, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question about tattoos and would really appreciate any advice or info you could give. :)

I am getting ready to send in my membership for ADGA and I am trying to pick out my ADGA tattoo sequence.

How do you go about deciding on a sequence for your herd tattoo? It seems like it would be difficult to come up with a letter/number sequence that is not already taken.

I know it is best to just call ADGA but so far I just seem to always come up with a busy signal.

Thanks!
    Tracy

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    mine was SDK1.. my sister's for her pygmys was JC3

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I first wanted KW or KWF or something similar, but since those were taken I asked about KEW (my initials) and it was available. I had to make sure both AGS and ADGA had that sequence available and luckily they did. So that's how we got our tattoo.

4. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Try you initials or your herd name initials. Our herd name is State Line with our tattoo being LINE. ADGA actually came up with that one...Mom forgot to put down SLDG(State Line Dairy Goats) like I originally wanted...but I actually like LINE better. :greengrin:

5. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks so much for the ideas everyone. :) I am hoping to get a sequence that would be easy to write in with one of the tattoo pens that were being discussed in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6399&hilit=tattoo+pen

I found an email address for ADGA and sent them a message asking about the availability of several sequences. :) Still no luck in getting through by phone.
    :sigh: Oh well, I will just keep trying. :)

Thanks again!
    Tracy

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine was DAH with AGS and NDGA...Dollys Acre and my last name initial, when I joined ADGA, all they did was add a #2 to get DAH2....I've also changed over with AGS and NDGA so now I have the same tattoo for all 3

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I registered mine with the USDA... I used my herd name initials but that was taken so I just added a 1 at the end... so now our tattoo is FHR1. :)

8. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Ours is MRF2 for MonReve Farm.

Initially it was MRF1 with AGS but I got them to switch when I couldn't get it with ADGA.

9. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    What we did was called ADGA and they gave us our tattoo 2CG (our herdname is Chestnut Grove) and that worked out fine :) I liked what they picked and we did not have to figure out a tattoo that was not already taken. It worked for us.

10. GoatGirlMO

GoatGirlMO New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Luckily, my first name is four letters long and rather uncommon, so I used it. We were going to use ERIPH (short hand for our ranch) for our Boers, but I forgot and put down my name instead. My sister's name is also four letters and uncommon, so her goats have her name as well.

It makes it rreaaaalllly nice... I have had goats returned to me because people have called and said, "Hey, I came across this goat and flipped it's ear..." So I go gather them up :). Doesn't happen very often (thank goodness!) but occasionally ones get sold or given away without my knowledge :-(.

11. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Mine is WGF4 Which stands for Walnut Grove Farm, and the 4 stands for how many people live in my home. I got this with both AGS and ADGA. So it worked out good for me.

12. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I just used my herd name. I chose Golden Seal so their tattoo letters are GSN for Golden Seal Nubians.

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Mine for the Alpine's is NSAK (North Star Alpines (Alaska) Katrina)
    But I had to move the herdname to Big Dipper Alpines, I would like it to be BDA .. oh well\

for North Star Boer Goats, NSBG with USBGA

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Get this, ADGA gave me FUN :laugh: . The Boers have my initials, NCD1