How did you get started?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Itchysmom, May 10, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    So, from reading alot of posts here, I have figured out that goats are an addicting creature! :lovey: I would love to know how you all got started in your goat adventure.

Me....I have a friend who had three does who kidded last month. She is a very busy lady and wants to cut down her herd. She has a very good milker that she is keeping. So far there has been some bad luck with the kids she has given away (two died and 1 came back because the doe was killed by owners dog). She is going to give me a doe and her buckling and maybe another buckling or doeling. These are Sanaans. My doe is out of her good milk goat who was bred to a registered Sanaan buck out of good lines. She (my doe) was then bred last year back to her sire and had one buckling this year. As a FF she had an easy birth and is taking very good care of her kid. He was whethered two weeks ago and will be dinerr for hubby and me come fall.If I get the other whether, he will also go into the freezer.

Now, I am exicted to get her home...will make sure pen is up and safe before then. I do want some milk, but would prefer her to have more of a meat type kid next year. So, I am looking around for either a Boer or Kiko buck to breed her to. Not much luck so far :( I can breed her back to her sire or a Chasmere, but again, I would like more meat. It looks like I may have go buy a young buck. Still thinking about that one!

Those that have bucks...any and all info is appreciated. I know he will have to live seperate from the does, have a friend whether, may smell up the place, etc.

So.....how did you get involved with your goaty family?

2. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I've been around goats off and on for most of my life. My folks started out with one Nubian and then quickly switched to registered LaManchas. They raised them for quite a few years. And then my mom decided to go to work so we sold out. A few years later they got back into them and are now raising American Saanens. I missed having LaManchas so I decided to start my herd and have been raising them for over 4 years. My first goat I ever owned was a pygmy. Then I did raise some Miniature dairy goats for a while.

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

My goat adventures are do to 4-H. I showed a nubian my first year and got Res. Grand Champion at our county fair then the next year I didn't do good at all so I quit and just consentrated on pigs and cattle. Now my 2 oldest nieces are in 4-H and I told them if they picked one kind of animal I would pay for the animal and feed, they in turn sell them at the fair and put the money into a college account. They chose goats and the first year I just went out and bought 2 wethers, at that time I only had one niece in 4-H. Now that both are old enough I decided for one year it might be fun to buy bred nannies and let my nieces watch the kids grow from just born kids to the fair and see all the time it takes to get the kids to market weight. After buying these does and watching the kids grow I am hooked. I decided not to sell the nannies and now we are going to breed them for next years kids. The children are also keeping the 2 doe kids and they will be bred for 4-H babies also. That is in a nut shell how I/we got started into goats.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    For us, it was becasue we live in the country. My son did all sports,and so he stayed busy. My daughter on the other hand did not care for them and she was always hurt playing (she broke her ankles 6 times).

We went to the Fair one year and was looking for animals that she would like to do, and non could be butchered.

So we found the goats. I loved the dairy goats, but no way, that is a lot of work, then the Pygmy goats, nope, could not get anything from them to help pay for themselves. Then we found the Cashmere goats. Ok so you don't have to butcher them, no work in milking, you get the fiber that we can sell,. Then she found a baby that someone was selling. She was hooked.

Did it for 8 years, was the Reserve Champion Senior Showmen in the Round Robin two years ago and the Grand Champion Senior Showmen in the Round Robin last year.

She was a VERY shy person and would hide behind me when someone wanted to talk to her, now she is the Fair Queen for out County and you can not shut her up (lol).

I can not get the Photo-bucket up, when I do I will post a new picture of her.

5. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

ohhh this brings back memories... ;)
    We've had goats since I was about 7.... no showing and what we learned of goats was trial and error......
    We started out with grade Saanens and then went to Nubians and Obers ....and this past three years I have been 'trying' to start a reg. herd of Nigerians and Lamanchas, whom I both think are the best two breeds I have found thus far.
    I don't think there'll be a day in my life when there won't be a goat in the pasture. ;)

6. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    I never owned livestock as a kid in Orange County (yes, like all those dumb TV shows), but I always went to camp to ride horses and herd cattle. I was a Vet Tech for 5 years, but I hated it because of the clients (I'll take a rabid Pitbull over someone who thinks their poodle is their child anyday!) I studied animal science and agriculture for almost 3 years at Cal Poly, SLO (Equine, Beef, Sheep, Swine and small animal courses). I learned about ruminant and hind-gut-fermentor nutrition specifically. I collected, analyzed, and treated bulls on our Bull Test. I did AI on mares and one embryo transfer and many AI's on heifers and cows. That was a major money loser for the school, even with the free *cough*slave*cough cough* labor of students at odd hours and on weekends. We had one of the best averages in the country, but we used CIDR implants, which make it a lot easier.

I got my first two goats at the beginning of this year. They were both NDs, and one was very pregnant, being sold as tying goats. I bought them and brought them home to eat some of the weeds in our yard that were looking more like a jungle after all the rain we got this year. They weren't really all that effective just the two of them... so I bought more... and more... and some more. I now have 4 registered nigis, and I'm getting a doeling from Capriola!, one of the original grade ND does, and two Nubian/Alpine/Boer crosses...

I'm not allowed to get anymore before I move over 1200 miles to MT... I suppose 7 (+1, post-move) will have to do for now!

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Nope - they are all sitting here waiting for you - BAHAHAHA

8. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I had a pet nubian wether in the country when I was a kid and loved those long, floppy ears. We live in the country now and I thought it would be neat to raise/grow as much of our own food as possible. We have lots of pecan trees, and started with chickens. We planted our garden and I am learning to can. Next I was thinking "meat and milk", but I can't get past the smell of those cow flops so goats sounded like a good idea. Nubian was still in my head from my childhood so we got a nubian doe, but as I researched goats online I saw boers and fell in love (and they still have those floppy ears I love to kiss!) So we're only about a month into it, the kiddos are going to show in 4-h as well, and we may also sell 4-h wethers if our herd gets big enough. I'm not sure how easy it will be to eat goats we have raised, but we'll see! Welcome! I've been having a blast with ours.

9. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    I was a big sports jock. I was one of the best goalies in soccer in our state. Well 2 knee surgeries and 2 wrist surgeries later, the doctors said no more sports. So I had to find something else. A friend, at the time, suggested 4H. She had cashmere goats and angora goats. I leased a goat from her for the first year.

After that, I bought 3 goats and that's gotten up to 16 = )

10. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Great stories! I can't wait to get on my property and have my goats come home!

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I guess my fate was sealed early on. I was raised on a small farm & there was a dairy next door. Guess who was always over there petting & pretending to be a goat herder.
    About 20yrs ago we bought a couple Nubians for milk & meat when our children were small. They never were very interested them.
    After they grew up & I was getting tired of working outside the home I decided to research goats & bought some Boers.
    Havent looked back!

12. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I decided to get dairy goats after doing a lot of research and learning about where my food comes from. I love milk, but I pretty much can't look at cow milk at this point without worrying about what might be in it. I started buying raw goat milk from a friend and liked it so much I decided I wanted some of my own!

So we bought some goats! I love them, they are so fun and keep me entertained. Not sure I will ever have more than 2 or 3 but that is all I really need since I am not into showing or really trying to make money with them.

13. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    well, my family lived in michigan in the detroit-lansing area. not exactly farm-utopia... well in 2000 (i was eight) my mom, dad, two little sisters and myself moved to the family farm here in ohio. dad got a job and mom stayed home with us. we became friends with girls at school. they were sisters and each our own age. we were inseperable and soon our parents were friends too. at a petting farm "nearby" we baught a wether and named him "baby". mom thought he ws lonely so we went back and baught a wether la mancha and named him "staypuff". staypuff was quite the grumpy and always beat up on baby who was, well, a big baby. we got rid of both of them after a while. *fast forward a few months* our friends neighbors had dairy goats. we visited them a few times and mom talked dad into buying six does. we put up a fence and small barn. that poor barn never had a chance and the four foot fence was no obsticale. we did alot of chasing in the beginning. we built a big barn and put up more and taller fence. six and a half foot fence! we used to say they were reindeer in goat disguises. lol! mom did all the milking at first. dad did some. then after a few years we all helped with everything. we used to sit in the yard and watch for them to kid.

14. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Mine started 3 years ago with a pygmy we named Clover. The "Breeder" told us she was 2 weeks and on the bottle. LIES! She was a couple of days old and had never seen a bottle. My first goat vet said she never got enough first milk. We tried for three weeks to save her, but it wasn't to be. She died in my arms. One look into her little face and I knew I had to have goats. We bought a pygmy doe (the goat from hell) and her three week old doeling. We found a better breeder and I got my bottle baby Mischef. Then came our rescue Murray. Romeo and Hershy soon followed. The goat from hell and her spawn went to a farm in Clay. We got our first sheep Moose at less than a day old. (my miracle. Thank you Clover for showing us what to do)
    Moose finally got a friend to talk to in Baa Baa. We have last years babies, Valentine and Clementine. Then this years babies Ash and Wednesday (from Mischef ) and Fancy (from Valentine) Oh and we just got Ben 10. He's 5 weeks old. Wow. It's been a bumpy ride but fun. Once you try them, you keep on going.

Gina

15. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

My mom used to have a few toggenburg goats when she was little.

When I was about 8 we got 2 boer crosses that we thought were Nubians. We got a few more Nubians but could never seem to keep them alive. :(

Soon we got more goats and started a meat goat 'business' with some brush goats that we got. We also had quite a few Pygmy goats. Never did have any babies out of them born here though. Well anyways, back to the brush goats. In a group of 10 goats we bought for $100 there was a 50% NOA Boer doe. And thats when it happened.

We were hooked on Boers!!! We got into the South African boers and did some showing and learned the hardships of raising goats and we learned fast. Soon Codi/PCI boers were the rage and they were supposed to be bigger and better and more original. We invested in some SA Codi percentages and they were magnificent show does. Then we got a full Codi doe and then acquired her dad. Really loved that buck. Gentle giant who weighed about 400lbs at 2 1/2 years old. Big baby he was! But he threw very big kids. They were very nice kids but just too big and he threw quite a few triplets, one of which weighed 11lbs.

Then we got into the commercial boers and that was the most fun we had. We had so much color from Reds and paints to dappled Nubians. We were in love with these commercial boers.

BUT, our hearts fell in love again with the ones that started it all when we got 5 pregnant Pygmy and Nigerian does. WE just love these goats!

We downed our boer herd to 1 wether and 2 pregnant does.

Our Mini herd now consists of 8 adult does, 8 young doelings, 1 buck and 2 bucklings! We are currently building our doe herd and we are going to get 2 more does on the 23rd. :)

Thats our story! Except that we were raising horses before goats! LOL

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    4-H started it all when we moved from the bush out to Alaska's farming community, I wanted to join 4-H when I saw the animals and their care takers at the state fair, and I wanted to be apart of that.
    I always wanted cows, but I was seven at the timem when my parents suggested A goat...notice the word "A"...lol
    Now I'm breeding boers, I love them, I have 17-27 usually. :love;

17. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    haha.......yeah I try to keep the herd small every year......but my does dont listen to me very well....