How do I ask this without being rude/offensive? HELP

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Nov 5, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So about 6 weeks ago I organised a Toggy doe kid from a breeder at Royal Melbourne show. Nice lady, nice doe kid. She was still on the bottle and had to be inspected for registration, so I agreed to pick her up at a later date (at one of the shows). She said she wanted $150 for her, which I think is reasonable as she is only Appendix D (her father is Togg, her mother is an Australian Brown out of a British Alpine).

I sent her an email a few days ago asking about organising a time to come visit and pick her up. She sent me an email tonight saying the kid is looking really good, passed her inspection and is now registered, and then said she is $250.

Now, I'd like to remind her that she said $150 at Melbourne, and ask why the price increase? But I am not sure how to word it without being rude, offensive or all of the above.

I really dont think I can justify spending $250 on an Appendix D animal, when you have D, C, B, A and only then get to purebred. I can spend an extra $200 ($450) and purchase a really top quality purebred Toggy doe.

What do you all think of this situation??

2. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    First of all...I don't think it was right of the lady to tell you one price and then increase it later. Just ask her why the price increase? You told me $150 at the show and I can't justify spending that much for a Appendix D animal. I don't think it's being rude...she is the one who is being a bit rude by telling you one price and then later telling you a higher price. Sounds like your Appendix D is like our 50% Recorded Grade.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I don't think it was fair....maybe she fogot....maybe she really likes her and got some nice comments so want to keep her....maybe she thinks you'll pay that much for her...maybe she hit the wrong 2 instead of 1. Who knows.

I would just kindly write...

In a previous email or where ever you were, you said she was available for $150 and then in the email you sent, you say she's $250? Is this correct? Why did the price raise? I don't think i'm willing to pay that much for an Appendix D doeling. Not trying to be rude whatsoever. Just let me know. Thanks, XXXX

That way you're not being rude in case she made a mistake. It may not be and she may just be trying to get more money, either way, you sound perfessional and reasonable. She will have lost a sale if she did raise the price though.

Good luck and hope that helped!!!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Do you have it in writing anywhere?

I just hate it when people do that. I know I have "sold" goats for one price and before they leave, WOW they are really a lot nicer then I thought. Yes i SHOULD of asked more but I did not. I keep it the price we agreed on. Then it is my loss, and their gain.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have gone through something like that many times - and I was on the same end as you. I just tell them, you quoted me this price, this is all that is in my budget, and so I can not spend more than that price.

I have also been on the other end where I see the potential after a price is set - and it stings - but I ALWAYS go with what was quoted. matter of fact I am going through this for 2009 kids. I relooked at my costs and had to raise the prices to cover costs - but I had already quoted 2 people and so I told them that they still were getting the price quoted so not to worry about seeing higher prices on the website. They were appriciative that I was sticking to my quote, and one even said that she would pay a little more as she understood having to cover costs.

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Something similar happened to my mom and I, we had found some Alpine bucks for breeding that we could 'rent' for the entire winter, and we had talked to the guy over the phone about it, so we drive an hour to get there, and he has this 13 year old skinny goat with massive foot long horns. Apperently he had about about twenty goats, all of which looked starving, and he fed them this soybean hash stuff that my goats would never even touch, but his goats went crazy over it, as if they hadn't eaten in a month. Anyway, turns out that he wanted a deposit that was four times the amount of what we were 'renting' the goat for.
    We would have possibly backed down, but then he pulled out a hand gun and said 'See my gun, oh don't worry, it only shoots beebees' although, my whole family are avid hunters and that handgun did not shoot pellets or beebees. I think he was drunk anyway, but it was still pretty creepy in my opinion.
    So anyway we took the goat and got outta there quick.

Actually I think I have a picture of the goat too.

[​IMG]

There he is, in this picture we'd have him a couple months so he looks better than when we first got him.

7. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    Ok Amos.. that's just CREEEEEPPPPY! WOW!

Did you bring the buck back? I'm not sure I would have dared! :shocked:

Meghan

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea eerie story..

i have had that happen to me once.. and of course. being hot tempered me... you can guess what happened... i think towards the end i said i was going elsewhere and .. oddly she lowered the price to 50 below the original..

loong story short. i should have known better and moved on.. the buck hada blood infection which cost me a pretty penny or 40000

9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    yes, we actually brought him back a couple months earlier, because he hogged all the food, which I can understand, since he was deprived, but it wasn't good for our goats, and the other issue was that.. he wasn't afraid to use his horns! He liked beating up on our wether especially, and since it was winter, we couldn't build another pen since the ground was froze, so they all had to stay together. The guy who we got him from told us that he wanted the goat, named Maynerd, back, and we told him we would, besides, who knows what he would do if we didn't? If he was nicer, and we could actually keep him, I'm sure we would have, as he was just a rail, but we were supposed to get the deposit back and it wasn't worth it.
    So yes we brought him back, my mom and dad did anyway, the whole thing kind of creeped me out, so I stayed home.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe she did forget the price she offered you....she was at a show and you know how your mind is always going ...maybe with all the excitement she just forgot.......can be understandable.....

If you want to use this below...... feel free .........if not....it perfectly fine...or if you think you need to change anything please do:

I would maybe say this in your e-mail..I wouldn't mention the Appendix yet...but this will see where that price stands....then if she responds back with $250 again then you should mention the Appendix : :)

Hi, "Fill in her first name",
    I have a question..if you don't mind....? when we were at Royal Melbourne show....I had asked what price you were asking for the little doe....and I remember you mentioned $150 and we agreed .....because she was still on the bottle... and had to be inspected for registration, that I would pick her up.... at a later date....I was wondering ,because the e-mail.. I just recieved from you,says you are now asking $250...??? DO I have this correct?

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Hmmm. That's very interesting. I think everyone else's posts are most helpful so I won't really add anything to that. Maybe because it was 6 weeks ago, she is asking more for boarding?? I know I've bought doe kids before for less money because I took them when they were on the bottle. Got a really nice doeling for only $200 because I'd bought a lot of goats from this person and took the doe when she was only 5 weeks.

Just be very kind and cool-headed. Ask what the reason was for the price change. It might be like what Kylee said, that she accidently hit 2 instead of 1 - I've done that before (thankfully caught it before sending).

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i agree with olivia.. it could be an accident

but if the lady gets defensive or demanding, i would move on to find another goat

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks everyone.

Capriola, I dont think it would be for boarding, as I wanted to take her when I first saw her, but the breeder didnt want to let her go then as she was still on the bottle. I explained to her that I didnt mind feeding her and that I had fed plenty of kids before so she would be ok, but she said she would rather wait until she was weaned. So, if she was charging for 'boarding' I dont think that would be fair, as it was her idea not mine.

I will send her the email but if she sticks to $250 I will pass her up. A few reasons:

a) She's an appendix D and I can get a purebred for only $200 more
    b) She's only a young kid so unproven as yet
    c) Her mother is a nice goat but does have a pocket in front on the udder. That was the only thing that really concerned me about the kid.

The reason I was really interested is because I thought $150 was a fair price for the kid, for the reasons as stated above. I thought I made my intentions quite clear as I asked at the show to inspect the kid, looked at teats and teeth and conformation, stood her up, looked over her mother and all. And asked if I could take her then, the lady said no, so I said I'd like to pick her up at the last show of the season, she said that would be fine.

Anyway ... I guess its just a bit disappointing as I was looking forward to bringing her home this weekend. I was also looking forward to having a dairy doe I could show - the old girl can only be shown in milk and she is not in milk yet. But, as disappointing as it is, like I said I cant justify $250 on her.

On the bright side, I am getting my Saanen today! :leap:

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree keren.....and can't blame you for that decision.........good luck... :)

congrats on the new Saanen... :)

15. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Goodluck. She may have forgotten the price she told you.
    Just be nice about it. And if the price is $250, remember to thank her for her time and move on. Leave it on a good note, you never know she may have something even better next time that you want and if you end it on a bad note she may not sell to you.