How do I check eyelids for pink?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cinder, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Could someone please explain or send me to pictures showing how you check your goats eyelids for pink when wondering about worms?

2. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Pam - those are great links. Thanks so much.

I had this thought that I had to go out and pull down their eye lids and check the color. Sometimes I'm such a blond! :)

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.....it's OK.... we've all had to learn.... at one point or another....and all of us have had a blonde moment....of :doh: :help:

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I was trying to find that link ........but I couldn't...... it is a real good one.... :thumbup:

6. Carmen_SanDiego

Carmen_SanDiego New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    hm. Still not seeing instructions on these links on how to check. A good example of why I am confused is my black goat has black skin around his eye, so how would I ever know?

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I find it easier to pull up the top lid then down the bottom led.. : ) give more tenstion I guess lol..You want to see the inside of the lid, you need to pull that bottom lid outward...some are harder to do than others..keep pratcing....;)

8. Carmen_SanDiego

Carmen_SanDiego New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Okay awesome. That's what I was doing but a comment above about how Cinder thought she was dumb for doing it wrong made me second guess my technique :)

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I took a FAMACHA class. They told us to put a little pressure on upper eyelid and eye and then you can kind of invert the lower eyelid easier. You need to look at the inside of the lower eyelid.

When you put that pressure on the upper eyelid, it is easier to pull down the lower eyelid. I'm probably not explaining it well but hopefully you can get an idea. You don't put a lot of pressure on the eye that you would hurt it. It is just a light pressure.

10. GATA_Goats

GATA_Goats New Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Glad someone asked this, I tried this last week and had a hard time with it.