How do I get my goats to eat more??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by heathersboers, Sep 18, 2008.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We are trying to get our boers ready for show- Our does look great , but our bucks could use a few more finishing pounds-We are feeding them a 17% protein pellet with medication, free choice hay and a 100% fat supplement sprinkled on their feed. They are eating about 3lbs a piece per day, and thats all they will eat. Our in-laws bucks are eating 9 lbs per day per head and they are feeding the same thing we feed-and growing their butts off! How can we get them to eat more??

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well I don't have boers, but I feed beet pulp to anyone who needs weight on them. I also feed BOSS and that seems to keep them pretty fat. lol Most of my milkers are on a diet right now. lol

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    how often do you feed? if you fed two or three times a day they would grow

4. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We feed twice a day-they ahve great builds, but are lacking lots of "fat" to compete-here is a pic of one of them-[​IMG]

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    what are you feeding? i feed showmaster goatfeed and when they really wont gain i use the lamb feed start to finish. that adds weight ( mainly muscle ) fast!!

6. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I have tried showmaster and they ate it great! But didn't notice any difference in their looks after 4 months

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    can you get that lamb feed? it seriously works.. i give my doe memphis a pound a day and she gains about 2 lbs a week average. and all she gets is that and hay. my friend feeds it to one of her does and that girl has grown!! seriously worth the money to put on weight

it comes in a green bag and its called start to finish. its like 17 bucks out here so i dunno out there

8. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I'm having the same problem you are. My goats aren't eating enough to stay in show shape. I've chatted with a lot of breeders and most rely heavily on B12, either in injection form or in a topdress form(though injections are far more common.) The B12 is supposed to boost their appetite.

9. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Can you get B12 anywhere besides the vet?? we have tried the B Complex and didn't see a difference.

10. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
  11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I use Maxi-B 1000 from Durvet. It was $12/250ml at the local feed store. It contains 1000mcg B-12 per ml.
    crocee

12. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    I dont know the difference in show quality vrs meat but my Boers that are 5 months are 80 pounds for the bucklings and 75 for the doelings. They are firm, meaty and nice. I only feed hay and pasture!
    If I had to do more than that to get the meat on them, I would be looking for better growing Boers, which I did.

My Boer kids here have to gain 10 pounds per month the first year if they have any chance of becoming a breeder and for the parents to remain breeders.
    Thats with allowing nursing the first 3-4 months then only pasture and hay.
    I dont grain except the nursing does.

Breed the best and eat the rest!

Gosh my last 2 kids, bucklings were 2 pounds when born and art 3 weeks, 9 pounds each.

Thats what Boers are for, fast growing meat.
    My Boers are the cheapest and easiest goats to keep.

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Correct me if I'm wrong but with Boer goats, the percentage Boers grow faster, right? So, maybe it's just naturally more difficult to get the meat on them if they are pure-bred (or full-blood? I get confused which is which). Ivy, do u raise pure-bred Boers or percentage?

Anyone here considered raising the TexMaster goats? Aren't they the Boers that are bred w/ Myotonic? Those animals look BEEFY! :D

14. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Our bucklings are weaning at around 70 lbs at 3 months and our doelings are about 50 at 3 months- they are the fullbloods-Our percentages do not grow as fast as our full bloods-they get taller faster but some lack the meaty build that we look for. Example-jade 75% boer-4 months-she does not have the body capacity that we look for a broodoe
    [​IMG] As far as their birthweights- the kids off of Trax are weighing 10-18lbs each at birth (single)and our other bucks are avg. 10 lbs at birth-twin births are about 9 lbs each-Here is a good example of one of our 3 month old fullblood does-she is in show shape and weighing 62 lbs.
    [​IMG]

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Wow! Your Boers really grow fast!! We had the hardest time keeping our former pygmy buck in "show condition" - seemed like he was constantly in rut and smelled TERRIBLE!! He ate a lot of food but just "worked" it all off. . . . I just gave up. :roll: Your animals look awesome to me. :)

16. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thank you very much!! Most of it is genetics- the genetics that we have strived so hard to get carry muscle, muscle, and more muscle, most of them are very wide chested and have a great topline and rump on them (RRD or "Ryals" bloodlines) they are proven show winners and pass it on to their offspring very well. The only problem we have had with these genetics is that we have had to deliver several kids because they are so wide in the shoulders and have huge heads, and wean them at 2 months because of them pulling their dam down.we feed a lot of feed because we have no pasture until we move this winter. we usually keep our bucks separate and feed them very well to keep them in show shape- On the show off season-they are in breeding shape, because a fat buck sometimes will not breed. here is a pic of a 1/2 Ryals bred buckling that I have sale pending at this time-he is pictured at 2 weeks old-This is Empire's Lightning featured on my kids for sale page.
    [​IMG]

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, he is very handsome!! I love baby Boer goat faces, so cute! They have all this cute wrinkly skin, it's adorable! :D My cousins raise Boers but they aren't into showing, they have mostly percentage. I love the little babies. :)

18. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Geese- we all have different problems- I can't get my Boers from getting too fat- the vet laughed at them and I hardly feed them. They get a cup of alfalfa pelllets with mineral mix added twice a day (just to get the minerals into them) and a pound grass hay twice a day. I do sprinkle a little corn oil (very little) to make the mineral mix stick. The pasture is totally nuked so they can't be getting much from that.
    But that is not muscle as much as fat on them...............

I do know that leaving them on mom makes for much better size and muscle. Maybe instead of pulling all kids, you can leave the one you plan to show? Putting the extra food into mom?

19. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Some goats just stay fat-I don't know why? Some of our big bodied does are just "fat", but our smaller framed does can't handle feeding huge kids -I guess the kids are drinking them dry? what we usually do is take the buckling a little early-they usually grow faster-we will try to leave the doeling (or smaller kid)on the dam for 3 months. we feed our brooddoes very well, but the strain makes them look like they are about to blow away-and they are great mamas, so the kids drink a lot and very frequently-that is our main problem-The smaller kid that is left on the dam comes right on up in size. It s just that when kids are weighing 50+pounds at 2 months old and are 1/2 the size of the dams, it takes all the nutrition the dam can muster to produce enough milk. We have a 1/2 dairy doe that produces almost a gallon a day-Fluffy- Her kids aren't pulling her down as bad as I have seen the kids from Boers pull-we weaned the buckling 2 weeks ago and are weaning the doeling today. Here they are at 1 week-(they are 3 mos now)you can see how large they were already-
    [​IMG]

20. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    As for the TexMaster question. I have a few friends that raise TexMasters and you are correct about the cross. They are mainly myotonic with a little bit of boer for faster growth. They have an awesome meat to bone ratio. I will be getting a TexMaster buck in the future. TexMasters would improve my herd a lot!!!! They are beefy goats and truly, if they aren't beefy, they aren't a TexMaster. The breed was formed based on their muscle.