How do i intergrate my goats and sheep

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by fivemoremiles, Nov 14, 2019.

1. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I have a weed eating contract on a little over 1500 acres. the pay is great $1000,00 a week. It should take us 10 weeks to cover the ground.
    but now for my question i need to have my Boer goats with my sheep. the goats show my ewes that they can eat things they have not tried. so they need to be integrated.
    the sheep and goats need to be one herd because there are too many Lions coyotes and bears to be away from the guard dogs.

2. Robinsonfarm

Robinsonfarm Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    I would pen them next to each other for a short time then turn them in together, I run sheep and goats together with no problems.
    Im sure you are already aware of the different copper requirements of sheep and goats.

3. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I agree with the above, keep the intended animals close to the same fence for a short time, then move them in together. A quality sheep mineral will do for both of them if you'll also keep an eye out for your goats' need for more copper.

To give you a laugh, I have some vision problems, which sometimes makes me misread things. I read your title as "How do I interrogate my sheep and goats." I clicked to find out what you were facing!

Robinsonfarm likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Putting them together will be hard, goats need different minerals than sheep.

Goats can be mean, if they have horns and decide to move the sheep.
    And can cause injury.

Sheep have the same diseases/parasites as goats. Such as CL ect.

Do know, there is risk.

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Will they have access to all 1500 acres at once? I feel like there really won't be any issues if that's the case. They'll surely browse & graze as separate units given the option so the problem is really having enough LGDs to cover both the herd and flock in separate areas. But it's hard to create the density of animals needs for a thorough clearing job without dividing the space smaller.

Having the goats on a low copper, sheep safe mineral for just 10 weeks is no issue as long as you keep up with your copper supplementation the rest of the year.

That is very good pay - a federal clearing job I assume?

6. alicejane

alicejane Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Also I think of the boys cross breeding if you have them together & know they can't have same minerls
    The boys was my only thought.

7. Robinsonfarm

Robinsonfarm Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    It can happen that they interbreed, but it is extremely rare.

8. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    the boys will stay at the ranch Because by the time we are finished the girls will be cycling again. here in Montana you do not want Christmas babies.

the acreage may be 1500 on a flat plain but these acres are on a mountain. from the valley floor to the top of the mountain is a2000 foot rise in elevation. the true area is closer to 3500 acres. the night pen is at the top of the mountain. the water is at the bottom that is how we get the sheep to cover every thing.

sheep do not clime stairs or jump. the mineral will be put on a flatbed trailer that will be in the night pen for the goats. the goats like to sleep on the trailer at night. so minerals will not be a problem.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    SalteyLove likes this.
  9. mariarose

They can have sheep minerals during this time and copper is easily given separately.

10. mariarose

Congrats. Way to hustle!

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.