How do I keep them safe

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by tomie, Mar 15, 2011.

1. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    I am wandering if I have to worry about my kids when I let them out to the pasture with the other goats. I have a couple that are bullies but the rest of them just want to play. Will a doe be mean to another does kids? How can I make sure that they are safe?
    I am also wandering at what age do you worm a kid and at what age do you give a kid its first shots?
    I want to do everything that I can to have health happy goats. I just do not want to make mistakes.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My babies and moms are penned separately for the first 2 weeks, I do supervised outings with the herd for a few days til I'm confident that the kids are quick enough to get out of the way if theres a bully. I pen them up together at night for the first few weeks too.
    I give kids 2cc CD/T at 4 weeks and again at 7 weeks as well as a worming with ivermectin paste...1/4cc is all I use according to their weight(I have nigi kids so at 7 weeks, max weight is usually around 15-20 lbs)

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    As far as vaccine and worming schedules go ...you'll get a lot of different responses as everyone does what is tried and true for their own herds.

A general rule of thumb though is if your doe was vaccinated before kidding...the kids don't need their first shots until 6-8 weeks of age. Worming doesn't need to be done until 3 1/2 weeks at the EARLIEST and generally you'd want to do a fecal count before worming as you may not need to. I worm at 4-5 weeks...again 10 days later and I treat for coccidia on an as needed basis.

Hope this helps! :p

4. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    Thank you both. Does anyone have any tips on how to not get attached to the kids. We had planned on keeping the does and selling our billies but I am falling in love with all of them. This is going to be really hard. They are like sweet angels. Ugh I just do not know if I am cut out for all of this. I am going to be over run with goats because I will love them all.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is very hard to not get attached...especially when theres a few that are just absolute dolls!

The one thing that helps me when it comes time to sell is to know that I had a choice in the home they get and do my best to be sure they will have the type of home that I gave them.....as well as knowing that I only have so much space and time for x amount of herd members, I work full time and enjoy my hobby, having any more permanent goats would take away the enjoyment from having them....and, I do cry every time one leaves and sit in the pen comforting the mama that is calling for her baby.