The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nigerian Dwarf doe gave birth to twins yesterday. One was so tiny, 1.8 lbs and she wasn’t holding her temp. We brought her in and she is doing fine now as a bottle baby. I have been giving her colostrum and she is much better today.

The other twin I have not seen the her nurse yet. It’s almost 24 hours and she is very strong. Her belly feels full and she has pooped a small amount of tar like poop. She doesn’t latch on when I put her close to the teat. I tried to force a bottle on her while she was in the stall with her mom, but she wasn’t interested. Can I assume she is nursing? One of the doe’s udder’s is soft while the other is hard. The baby is standing, but not running or jumping yet.

Also, will it be possible to reintroduce the indoor kid to the mom after she gets stronger and the weather warms up? Or will she always be a bottle baby?

Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Attaching the kid to mama's teat, insures the kid is nursing.
If the kid doesn't latch on, it may be a good indication the kid hasn't fed.

You can weigh the kid each day.
Feel the tummy.
Has the baby pooped?
Is the kid acting normal?
Playing?
Is the kid hunched unthrifty?
Yelling out for mom?
Weak?
What is the temp?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Milk the mother into bottle for bottle baby and keep trying to get to latch before giving bottle.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I agree with you got to show the kid where the food is but you can not always know if the kid is swallowing.

So stick your finger in its mouth and use the rule of a warm kid is a full kid. cool kid is needing food

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
Weigh daily with a scale that weighs in pounds and ounces or pounds and tenths of pounds. To me her refusing your bottle is saying that she is nursing. Even not latching on can be saying she isn't hungry at that moment. Daily weighing will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Since the second baby (the one you left with mom) is strong, and has pooped the meconium, I'm going to say the baby has eaten. The sooner you can get the tiny one to be with mom, the better, only because reattachment chances lessen with every passing hour. Healthwise, she'll be fine as a bottle baby.

Reactions: SalteyLove

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I would try to milk out the side of the udder that is hard. You don't want engorgement happening.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I understand your frustration with not being able to catch the kid latching on. I had the time so, I found a quiet place to sit and observe. With the new kids, 1-2 days old, they did a lot of nibbling. It seemed like they were learning the routine of thump momma and then latch on. They spent almost every waking hour under their mom just getting a slurp here and there. I discontinued my covert operation based on upright warm ears, increased activity and the bodily functions of good urine streams and poops. I absolutely agree with using an accurate scale like a baby scale. If your kids were newborn humans they would be getting weighed every 8 hours. I've read on other threads here that you shouldn't feed your bottle baby if it's temp is less than 100 and that you should take measures to warm it up. Ask mariarose.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
@slanik , did every thing go well with kid?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts