How do I ship a blood sample?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Granolamom, May 6, 2010.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I found a vet who will do a reasonably priced house call to draw blood on my rescued Alpine, so that we can test her for TB, Brucelosis (sp?), CAE and CL. He offered to send in the sample for us, but to save money, I'd like to do it myself. What is the correct procedure to send blood samples to WADDL? Does anyone know of a lab here in Georgia, that would accept caprine samples for testing?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/f ... sWADDL.pdf

That is the form that you will need and has the shipping address on the top.

Since you are coming from Georgia - I would suggest calling them and getting their fed ex number so that you can ship it overnight to them for a smaller fee.

You will take the tube and label with date, farm name, animals name. Wrap in paper towels. Place in baggie. Place that baggie in another baggie. Place paper work inside the baggie with the blood baggie.

Pack in box to not allow movement and has padding - ship.

3. Granolamom

Granolamom New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Awesome, THANK YOU!!!

4. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Where in Georgia are you? I'm just over the line in Anniston Alabama. We go to Douglasville and Buford Hwy. A couple times a month. It would be fun to met sometime. Are there any goat shows near you? None here. We have to go to the Clay county goat auction and pretend. :laugh: The one with the highest price, is the 1st place winner.

Gina

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
  6. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    I did a compter search when i needed to send some blood in.
    I found the local university did it also.
    it was a priority mail because it was closer to ship to which saved in shipping cost instead of overnight shipping.
    just a thought
    renee

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If you call to get waddl's fedex number to ship - it is super cheap - like only a couple dollars more than priority

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I just seen this and was curious, how do you search for a local University to do blood tests? What search words do you use? Anyone know if the University of Kentucky does this? I know they have a HUGE ag program and it would be awesome if they did because I could just drive it over! Especially with our newest doe and the concerns with her...I am a mental mess worrying about her.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    contact your AG department and ask them

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Make sure the lab you choose uses the ELISA test rather than the AGID one. The ELISA will give more information than just yes or no.