The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my first time showing a goat. I'm showing in a county fair and I will be showing one of my dairy mixbreed kids. Is there a certain collar you need to use? And what do the judges look for? :whatgoat:

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
Sorry I have been busy today so not online alot!

When training my goats for shows I use a pronged chain. It helps out alot. They tend to walk better with it.

I have boers so not sure if the same rules apply to dairy breeds or not.
As far as during the show people use either a pronged chain or just the regular chain. Either one you choose is fine

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Are you talking dairy goat or boer? They show differently.
it is difficult to describe. There are you tube videos you can watch.
Walk on the goats left side. We use a show chain. When told to line up, you will line up either beside or behind the goat next to you. Here is where they differ. We do market boers -make their feet square under them, and then push with your knee into their brisket to make them "brace" or "drive".

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I have yet to see a pronged collar in dairy showing.

I like to use the chain collar.
It's just a plain chain with a ring on each side..

The judges like when you are calm and confident so try not to freak out even though it's your first time:)
Not quite sure what else to tell you.
You know how to set them up, correct?

Also, keep the goat Inbetween you and the judge at all times and DO NOT go behind the goat when switching sides, always go in front..

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I can help you a little. I know how to show a dairy goat, but have no experience with it (I am a market goat person).

You will need to get a show-chain or something similar. Many use dog chains or plastic links, but you get the idea.

What you will be doing is walking in a counter-clockwise circle in the show ring. Get your doe used to walking calmly and easily around on the chain. You want her to be completely in motion with you at all times. Have her walk the *tiniest* bit ahead of you, so she looks proud and eager. And keep a goat-space in between you and the showman around you.

Always keep her between you and the judge. Pass IN-FRONT of the doe when you switch sides, and face the doe when you pass.

Have eye contact with your judge, and keep a good, intense look. No need to smile, because that can become awkward. Look passionate in showing.

When you come to a stop (a goat space behind the first showman), 'set up' your doe's legs, to where they are square beneath her, and her back legs are slightly extended back. http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f205/setting-up-dairy-goat-118892/

Then you can 'chine' her, where you run your fingers on her spine until she basically 'squats'. It makes their topline level out and prepares them for showing off an udder.

Practice, practice, practice! Hope you do well. Judges can be nice, or they can be mean. Don't be too discouraged if they are. Have lots of fun, and good luck!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a dairy goat and I have to show her with a chain collar. In my county the dairy breeds are Alpines, Nubians, Toggenburg, LaMancha, Saanen, and a Nigerian Dwarf. I am a first year shower and totally obsessed with it too! But just do your best and always keep your goat between you and the judge! And they will probably ask what breed your goat is, where it originated from, what goat desieses are there, and body parts. Good luck to you!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Great advice given :)

Another thing, when you stop and set your doe up, set up the end closest to the judge, so, if the judge is walking down the line from behind, set up the back legs first and vice versa with the front. ;)

As to colors, I use dog choke chains. some breeders use the nylon choke collars, and some use leather collars. It's all up to you and what you can use easily to control your goat :)

Here is a video that gives you an idea :)

Hope you do good!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts