How do I treat 3 month goats with lice?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by milkcreek ridge, Sep 28, 2010.

1. milkcreek ridge

milkcreek ridge New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Mulino, Oregon
    Hi Everyone,

I need to know how to treat my 2, 3 month old bucklings with lice? Can you use a pour wormer on them?

Thanks,
    Heidi

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    You can give injectable ivermectin 1cc per 100lbs or dose with Sevin dust (watch the eyes) I am trying a new method of using VetRx - will see how it works :)

3. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We dusted with diatomaceous earth when we suspected lice for a couple goats and chickens. It is all natural. As Stacey said be careful of the eyes but also the nose. Try not to make too much off a "dust cloud" when applying it to them.

4. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We dusted with diatomaceous earth when we suspected lice for a couple goats and chickens. It is all natural. As Stacey said be careful of the eyes but also the nose. Try not to make too much off a "dust cloud" when applying it to them.

5. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I use diatomaceous earth as well. It worked great for use. I use a little container and pour a little at a time then brush it in and repeat until I have them covered. Afterwards they look dirty and their coats look dull but it does the job. I also sprinkle it the barn when I clean it. I make sure the goats are out spread it down and then when the dust settles I put bedding down and let the goats in. Make sure you cover your mouth and nose- I pull my shirt over my lower face. It is all natural but if you have any respiratory issues it is good to take the precaution. It also kept down the flies and spiders in my barn. I love the stuff!

6. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    There's also a product called "CyLence" that works really well. It's a pour-on, and I've used it on youngsters before with no problems. Dosage I've used is 1ml/25lbs. Just put it on right down the topline of the back. For lice, I'd re-treat in about 3wks.

Probably also a good idea to muck stalls, haul out old bedding, etc..

7. milkcreek ridge

milkcreek ridge New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Mulino, Oregon
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions about this :wave: :thumbup:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Everyone has such great advice...... good job.... :thumb: :greengrin:

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I use the seven dust also. Just remember all the goats are going to need to be dusted. Yep also get the whole barn and any where they hang out.

10. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Speaking of dusting for buggies, I've also used Python in the past on *baby* babies.. Had a scrubby commercial doe that rejected her kids and when I brought them in to bottlefeed, I noticed they were already COVERED with lice. Awesome, I know.. But a few good shakes of Python dust rubbed all over them killed the bugs dead pretty much immediately. A little harder to get good dust coverage on adults, of course, but it works great on little teeny babies.

Just throwin' it out there for future lousy baby goat googlers. :p

11. villager

villager New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    That is interesting about the sevin dust. What percentage of the dust is the active ingredient, carbaryl? Is the dust intended for animal or crop use? I did once see a preparation here for animals, which I think was 5% carbaryl.

I use carbaryl to spray my goats and dogs for fleas. By spraying them, it is easy to keep the chemical out of their eyes and noses. What I use is the agricultural preparation, which is 85% carbaryl, added to water at a concentration of 2 grams/litre. I find that this will keep the animals flea-free for about 2 weeks. (In time I am hoping to get rid of the fleas more or less permanently)

I have also used alpha-cypermethrine on the animals and regular-cypermethrine on the housing, but I found that its staying power was only about 5 days before the fleas reappeared, so I switched to carbaryl.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its the dust intended for use to keep crops bug free