The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to whether (for my first time) tomorrow. I'm going to be using the banding method just because I already have the supplies I need.

The buckling turns 4 weeks old Saturday and that is when someone is picking him up-he's going to be their 4H show whether.

So my question is: How do i actually do it? :? How far up the scrotum? :shrug: I posted a couple photos below from Fiasco Farm--could someone draw lines on the picture so I can see how far up I should do it?

Thanks for any help. :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Re: How do I whether?

How big are his testes for being 4 weeks?

Banding is really easy. I find it best if someone is there to hold him still and the other banding. We then grab his testes, making sure both are down and put the band over them almost up against him (the prongs on the bander facing him to make slipping the band off easier) then once both testicles are down and the band his up almost against him we slowly close the bander and slip the band off the prongs. It's a little hard the first time so don't panic he is ok.

After he is banded give him a shot of nutri-drench. He will be laying down and not really interested in food for the rest of the day and night. It's ok, I'd be too lol He'll be fine = )

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts

WOW 4 weeks? Either he is a very well developed boy or that picture is deceiving.
I wait until they are closer to 10 weeks, for two reasons. 1. so they develop more, they will grow bigger if they are left a buck longer, 2. so it helps lower the risk of UC.

When you band them, put the band as high up the testicles as it will go without getting a teat or the belly skin. Like right were they come down and there is a little space.

I give Anrica Montana a few days before like 2-3 so it helps with the pain and healing and I do it two days after.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts

StaceyRoop said:
that picture is from fiasco farm lori I do believe.

I had instructions on how to wether but I cant find them - grrr will keep looking
Good. :ROFL: I was a little worried about a boy being 4 weeks old and that large. :slapfloor:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

sweetgoats said:
StaceyRoop said:

I had instructions on how to wether but I cant find them - grrr will keep looking
Good. :ROFL: I was a little worried about a boy being 4 weeks old and that large. :slapfloor:
He's a freak of nature :ROFL: :slapfloor:

·
Registered
89 Posts

I thought the same thing until I read it.
I was like what the ?that boy is huge
renee

sweetgoats said:
StaceyRoop said:

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts

If you have the bander I have, the 4 pronged one, place the band on it and squeeze them together, have someone hold the boy on his rump, and hold a rear and front leg together to give you access to the goods, open the band making sure the ends of the prongs are towards the kids belly and pull BOTH testicles thru it, positioning the band close to the teats making sure you don't have the teats inside the band as well, the sac with the raisins should fall slack once through, release the pliers and roll the band from the prongs...spray the area with iodine or blu kote and give him back to mom.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts

I usually shave around the spot where the band is going if they are really hairy, nothing like the little hairs getting pulled and pinched in the band! Then I clean with alcohol, both the scrotum and the band. Once Dry I put the band on. I usually give a shot of banamine to help with the pain.

Oh and I check to make sure I didn't catch the penis in the band by pushing up near the back of his scrotum, it makes the penis come out slightly. As long as it comes out a bit you didn't catch the penis. Try doing it before and after you band so you can compare.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ok, I have one more question. If I band him today, is there a chance he might get UC because he is so young? Would it be best to have them take him to a vet (they are 3 hrs away) when he is closer to 8-10 wks? Sorry for all the questions right now.....I'm just nervous that I won't do it right.....

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts

There is a higher risk due to the fact that the urethra is short at this age, waiting til he's a few weeks older won't guarantee he won't get UC but it may lessen the chance.
Given the fact that you are selling him as a wether, are you sure that he will be wethered once he leaves? If you feel confident that his new owners will have him banded then waiting would be best for him, if you feel that this is something you want done before he goes, do it now.

·
Registered
92 Posts

A buckling that is castrated at a young age that is to be kept as a pet, brush eater etc should be fed a diet consisting mostly of a good quality grass hay. A diet heavy in grain concentrates will increase the chance of UC.
The calcium to phosphorus ratio in the grain is also important. It should be 2:1. I believe most bagged goat feed has this ratio.
Also, alphalpha hay is heavier in calcium than grass hay. A free choice mineral with ammonium chloride helps reduce the chance of UC. And of course plenty of fresh water at all times.
Show wethers are at the most risk because some owners tend to push the grains for rapid weight gain.
Waiting until he is 8-10 weeks old wouldn't hurt.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks everybody for your advice!! I decided to band him this afternoon....I printed out all the info you all gave on how to do it and printed out two Ehow articles.
Should I give him the Tetanus Antitoxin before or after?

Ashley, I will defiantly clip around the area.

Just to let everyone know, this pic that I posted earlier is from Fiasco Farm and it is a 5 month old buck.

I agree, I would be seriously worried about my buckling being that big at 4 wks old!! :ROFL: :laugh:

·
Registered
140 Posts

I am asssuming you are selling him still needing bottle feedings. If this is not the persons first goat or if they are involved in 4H i would suggest to them that they take him intact and band him thmselves in 6-8 weeks. The banders are inexpensive and most 4h clubs have someone who has one.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Ok I gotta say something cause now Im curious...

Yall band around 8-10 weeks? Ive always been told to do it around 2-3 weeks that it isnt as painful. And to be honest how do you fit them in there at that age? We usually band about 2-3 weeks like weve been told is best, but this year we didnt get to it til 4 weeks, and some of them boys were almost to big to fit. I will admit I have nubians and they are bigger goats, and I do sell my babies as mostly pet wethers... They go to there new homes about 8 weeks... would you band them around when they go? Im a bit confused.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

We banded him last night, and I was Shocked!! I thought he would cry a lot; We put it on and he barely even whimpered!! I let him start walking around and he acted as if nothing had happened!!!! :leap: :leap: I made sure we got the testes in properly and everything was good to go!!!! :stars: :stars: I am so glad it went well!!!

Thank you all very much for the advice you gave. :hi5: :hug:

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm glad everything went well. As far as when to castrate really it depends on the breeder and on the goat. I like to band mine when they are about 10-12 weeks because it gives them extra growth. We've never had problems of them being too big. But like Lori has said if some are bigger at a younger age then we castrate them earlier. I'd be cautious about banding them then sending them on the same day because of the high stress level. I'd band a few days earlier or something.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts