The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so these girls have been getting corn their whole lives untill I found out corn isnt so good for them and thier growth may have been stunted from cocci. I am now feeding them oats pellets and alfalfa hay I will post before and after pictures so you can tell me if they look any better.

Vertebrate Goat Mammal Terrestrial animal Goats

Jaw Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Livestock

Goat Goat-antelope Sheep Terrestrial animal Snout

Vertebrate Goat Mammal Terrestrial animal Goats

Theses are before pictures :)

Jaw Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Livestock

Goat Goat-antelope Sheep Terrestrial animal Snout

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
59,921 Posts
The pictures aren't the clearest but some of the girls don't look as sunken in as they were. In 3 weeks, they aren't going to grow in height a lot and that will be hard to see in pictures. Pick a couple of your worst goats and start measuring them weekly. Then you can see how they are doing heightwise.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I got a weight measuring tape and it says some weigh 60 and some 30? But they are around the same age do you think its probly cocci will they still grow?

·
Super Moderator
59,921 Posts
Are you sure you measured all of them at the proper spot? That seems like a big difference in weight but if cocci got them, it could affect them. If they are young enough, they can recover from it. But it is really important that they get proper copper and selenium along with a good loose goat or cattle mineral. I would even give them kelp too.

·
Super Moderator
59,921 Posts
I would say under 1 year old is the best for having a good chance at recovery but while they are growing there is a chance. Once they hit adulthood, then they won't grow and recover.

·
Super Moderator
59,921 Posts
If you get rid of the coccidia and get their load under control, they can still grow. Of course I can't make any guarantees and I don't know how hard you are working to get rid of the coccidia. It is important to do the DiMethox and then have another fecal done about 2 weeks after treatment to see how it worked. If they need another round, then you do it.

Doing 1 round of treatment and hoping that worked is not a guarantee that the coccidia is gone.

·
I'm watching you
22,546 Posts
I used Baycox for the first time this year, only on 3 kids I was having trouble defeating it in. That stuff was like a miracle for them. Two treatments and they were good.
Some people treat as needed and do regular fecals to keep watch on what's going on. Others do prevention every 19 days until a certain age. I guess you would need to choose which way you want to go first and then work on a program from there. If you have a lot of trouble with it, then prevention is best.
There are also herbal remedies that do quite well...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.