How do they look?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kass, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    How do these girls look? Are they normal size?
    The White one is A Nigerian Dwarf / Saanen cross. Her birthday was March 16th 2020. Her name is Willow
    Tilly is the brown Nigerian dwarf. Her birthday was Jan 1st 2020. Either her mom or her grandmother was half Nubian, but she doesn't have any Nubian look so I think it was her grandmother. Her dad was pure Nigerian.
    The Nubian is Stella. Her Birthday was March 30th 2020.
    I am a new goat owner, and I just have the 3 of them :inlove:. I don't have any adults, so I don't have anything to compare them to size-wise!

Attached Files:

2. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME

3. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I included a hind shot of Tilly because we were minorly concerned that she might be pregnant, the ultrasound said no. Wanted to know what you guys thought.

Attached Files:

4. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
  5. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Stella looks like she may have a little bit of an underbite? Im not sure.

Attached Files:

6. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    so maybe y'all can give me some opinions? They are on half a cup of grain each per day. (I actually just pulled Stella off gain, as she may have coccidia) They are not on a mineral. I am trying to get some this week.

Attached Files:

7. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Willow, Tilly, and Stella... you
    Must watch some YouTube channels! I think they’re cute! What is their purpose? That would help people decide how they look. I agree that Stella looks to have a bit of an underbite, my mini Nubian has a nose like that (and an underbite) and it sometimes seems to make it difficult for her to breathe. Tilly doesn’t look pregnant to me. They look nice and healthy though!

Kass likes this.
  8. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    They will be breeding and milking does. If they are big enough I will breed 1 or 2 of them this fall. And yes I do watch Weed em and Reap's Youtube videos! I watched them last year, and then forgot about them... Watched them recently and realized how I thought of the names hahaha.

cristina-sorina likes this.
  9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The one doe does look possibly pregnant. Half a cup of feed really isn't much and won't put weight on them or anything. More like giving them a small treat. I'm confused why you took the feed away from the one who you think has coccidia.

goatblessings and Kass like this.
  10. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Tilly was getting a cup a day, but I was reading about feeding grain the other day and got scared into giving them less. I don't want Tilly to get fat!
    I was offering Willow a cup of grain a day, but she just won't eat it! Even sweet feed. She loves a quarter cup of grain, but she seems to have a sort of self-preservation where she won't eat more than that in one sitting!
    Stella was getting almost a cup day, but she would sometimes get distracted or loose interest and tip it over...frustrating. I read somewhere that if a goat is having diarrhea, to stop giving them grain because all the indigestible extra protein would just make it worse. If that is wrong, I can put her back on grain. I just didn't want to make the diarrhea worse. I have Corrid coming this week to worm her for coccidia.
    They do have hay and around an hour of forage a day.

11. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    She was in with a buck until she was 3.5 months old. Her earliest due date is Aug.1st. The latest is September 14th. She did get an ultrasound at 35 days.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  12. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I meant Free-choice hay as well as an hour of forage a day! not 1 hour of hay!

13. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How much do they each weigh?

Scoop them up and stand on a bathroom scale then subtract your own weight.

The top shots of the white goat make her look fairly underweight, hard to say without getting hands on. Are her spine and hips very boney to the touch?

They can definitely still be on grain at that age they are growing very fast. I would not plan to breed them in Autumn, you should wait until at very least a year old, usually a year and a half.

If they have never had coccidia prevention at the breeders or you aren't sure, then a mail in fecal analysis by Meadow Mist Laboratory would be a really good idea on each. Costs less than $10 per goat with shipping.

Kass and goatblessings like this.
  14. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    As of 2 weeks ago, Tilly is 23 lbs, Willow is 25 lbs, and Stella is 45 lbs. Tilly and willow were treated for coccidia late May. I will be treating Stella later this week with Corrid when it comes in the mail.
    I was planning to breed one or two of them in November depending on if they are big/developed enough. if not, of course I will wait until next year.

15. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Just keep in mind, even having been treated in May, a new worm load or coccidia could have developed since then. Young goats are very susceptible to these parasites before a year old. So if one seems unthrifty, a fecal analysis on all is a good idea!

Kass likes this.
  16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The white is the only one that is questionable - doesn’t look bad, but could use some filling out for sure. Her hips don’t look sharp though, so that’s good.

Moers kiko boars and Kass like this.
  17. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Here are some better photos from today.

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  18. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    A few more...

Attached Files:

19. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    And a couple more for fun! :)

Attached Files:

20. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would consider holding them over until next year given their current weights. What breed of buck to you plan to use?

Kass and Moers kiko boars like this.