The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My help has moved so i wont be getting any help tattooing. currently i put the kids between my legs and kind of sit on them to disbud them. but my knees are not liking it.

anyone have measurements for a Nigerian dwarf disbuding box? thinking i can build one for day olds to week olds then build a larger one for tattooing. i bought a stone small pet pliers and they seem to work great on the small ears. i try to wait until they are 6 months to tattoo or right before they are sold. but i cant hold the body and head and tattoo at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
Get a garden knee pad thing to help make your knees happier in the mean time. We have a disbbuding box but never use it lol. My daughter prefers sitting on them too (no weight) .
We tat when kids are older too so no way I could do that without help..the box can work if doing ears..but not my lamanchas lol

·
8,479 Posts
I have 2 size boxes- Love my boxes! I tattoo and disbud all my kids. (missed 10 last year). But, did get over 100 done- When they are 3 days old, they get disbudded and ears
tattooed. The Lamanchas' tails' have to wait until they are big enough. Now I will have to band the horns, I just couldn't find time to get them disbudded.
The box that Hoeggar Supply used to sell works the best. They sold 2 sizes- one for Nigerians, one for Standard breed kids. (I built a larger on for bigger kids). Since I'm not sure that they are
still in business, there are a lot of ideas on how to build one on the internet, based on their boxes. - very simple-

Just make sure, if you build one- that the lid closes INSIDE the box. Otherwise- you will get pinched when the kid jumps.

·
Registered
386 Posts
A piece of foam flooring that is used for garage floors can help- plenty of space to move around on, box or not.

Maybe a headgate or milk stand can help. Especially if you hobbled the back legs (tie a rope or strap around the milk stand base, then carabiner/clip their feet snug to the rope). That lets you stand and just worry about the head and ears part. If your goats are too small for the stand you can build a little platform easily, complete with a hobble rig and add a wood bolster to the headgate to make the opening smaller.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts