How do you arrange your goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pennylullabelle, Jan 25, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

How do you separate you goats? I am going to be adding some more pens to my place but I haven't yet decided how to do it.

I want my buck to have a small pen for when it's just not a good time for him to be with any girls - they're kidding, I don't want them bred this head, etc.

But how do you separate your girls? Do you have separate pens for kidding does? For juniors and seniors? For doelings you retain or bring in? How many pens do you have total, how many goats?

Just looking for ideas to help me make my place efficient! Thanks so much guys!

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

We have TONS of pens but here is the breakdown

Buck pen
    Senior doe pen- with a large barn probably 20X30 and a dry lot that opens up to about a 1/2 acre pasture
    junior doe pen (they get kicked down to the senior doe pen once I have enough moms and babies to go into this pen together.

One kidding stall (8x8)

Several mom & babies pens (3X6) that open up to a small outdoor pen that is 6X10- this is where moms go with their new babies for about a week- I think we have six of those pens (we also use these for breeding during breeding season)

Once babies are big and strong enough to go out in a group situation of moms and babies (anywhere from one to two weeks) they go into the large junior doe stall (12x14) that opens up to a very large outdoor pen that I couldnt even begin to give the dimensions of, but probably something about 120X60

We also have horses here and I use those stalls for quarantine, they are really far away from the other goats and rubber matted so really easy to clean up

thats our game plan

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I'm looking into getting buckling in June-I have two wethers I can put with him so he will have buddies...but how big a space do they need? We have a 2.5 acre field that our two cows stay in and a small (maybe 1/2 acre) fenced off field that is attached to our barn with the stall they sleep in now. Maybe I could keep the buck/wethers in the big field with the cows and build them a small sleeping shed? What do you think?

4. pennylullabelle

Proctor Hill - that gives me some great ideas! Thanks! So...Maybe I will make the buck his own holding pen where I can do breeding (put a doe in when she will stand, then take her back to her pen after). Then I know I want a senior and junior pen, which will probably be the ones that are connected to stalls on the barn. I could possible open a third stall for goat use since my horses only use one stall...but for now I give them two since there are two of them....hmmm....brainstorming here. The hamster is running....

I really like the idea of having a handful of small transition pens of some sort. If I have seniors divided into small areas within my largest stall and have all of those small kidding stalls open into the senior pen I'd be able to separate momma's and babies in the beginning. I also want to separate kids from mom at night once they are around 2 weeks old so I can offer a bottle in the morning.

And finally...a young kid pen. I have 4 juniors now, all are 7 months to 2 years. But I plan on keeping some doe kids this year and don't know if my younger two will shove them around too much by the time they are weaned....hmmm...so maybe one more pen....

Wait until my brother gets here, he's going to look at me like "what the what Amanda? Why!?" hahahahaha

5. ProctorHillFarm

I will try to get some pictures tonight of my set-up so you can see what I mean- its a bit hard to describe, but it works pretty well here

I am slightly nervous about kicking my 09 junior does down to the senior doe pen in another month or so, I almost need a yearling pen too now :hair:

Last year kicking them out wasnt so hard because the senior doe pen was about half the size it is now- but I think as long as their are plenty of bowls for them to eat- they should be okay

6. pennylullabelle

I moved my juniors out of my senior pen today because I just couldn't take it anymore! My 7 and 9 month olds get shoved around for no other reason then what appears to be dominance and boredom. Of course, my seniors would not dare do that when I am out there, but I can seen them from my kitchen and I watch when they don't know it. So, I put the 7 month old, 9 month old, and 2 two year olds together. But once I am looking at having doelings around...I'll have like 6! I think I am definitely going to need a yearling pen.

Pictures would be AWESOME!! Thanks SO much!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have my bucks in one pen, my does in the other.
    I have 3 kidding stalls and the new moms do just fine with the other 3 girls....I have 6 does: 2 hayburners, 3 milkers and Penny, my 6 month old doeling.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    At the moment, I just have one large shed converted into a chicken/goat barn, with 2 pens connected. I'm really bad at guestimating, but I'd say the shed's about 18x18, the 1st run about 20x20 and the 2nd run about 10x40(?). All the does run around together. So far, no real issues between the seniors and juniors.

That being said, once the real barn goes up this spring, I'll have 3 separate pens with stalls. 1 for bucks, 1 for does, 1 temp pen attached to the kidding stalls. The bucks will have a nice sized area, but the does will have the largest spread. The kidding pens will be the smallest. Just enough area for moms to get outside with babies for some sunshine until they're ready for the big herd. So many plans, so little time. Don't get me started on the layout of the barn itself. lol I won't shut up :p

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i have a senior doe pen, a buck pen and a junior pen.

the junior's get kicked in with the big girls when the next years kid crop is going to be weaned.. because they're all around 9-12 months by then

10. ProctorHillFarm

Okay I rushed to the barn in the daylight to try and get some shots- unforunatly it was a rainy dreary day- but you can still get the picture

[​IMG]
    This is a view of the does dry lot and barn (to the right) opening to their grass pasture

[​IMG]
    view of the senior doe barn

[​IMG]
    This is a view of the junior doe pen - the buck pen is on the far right you can see the horse barn and behind that a fence line, the buck pen is behind the horse barn sharing that fenceline with the junior doe pen- they have several small houses up there to share

[​IMG]
    outside view of three of the individual pens I was telling you about- they can go in and out- you can see the black rubber flaps that are doors

Hope that helps a little bit to Paint a picture
    [​IMG]
    Inside view of the mom&baby/junior doe barn

You can see the three small pens that open up to the outside- the kidding stall is in the back/middle, and the junior doe stall that opens to their pen is on the back left

11. pennylullabelle

Your set up is awesome!! Can I move in?

Thanks for the pictures. It really helps. We are moving in 2 months so I wanted everything I do here to be simple, but make things easier. At the same time the house we *might* take has an almost open barn - no stalls. So this gives me some really good ideas for how to separate it!

12. ProctorHillFarm

Haha- thanks!
    It works well- like I said the only thing I would change is adding another pen for the coming yearlings...hmmm, just when I thought we were done! :)

13. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    I've been giving this very same thing a lot of thought lately! I want to start buying some fencing so that hopefully I can build bigger pens etc. in the next year or so. But what I'm planning on doing is moving bucks and the monster (Amanda knows who the monster is :)) away from the barn, probably over where my square pen is that I put the horses in sometimes. I'm going to build the bucks some shelters, but I'm planning on putting several pens so that at breeding time, I can separate the does with their respective bucks for the "romance time". But I want to do the dividing fence lines between these pens to where I can easily take them down or put them up in different configurations. That way when it's not breeding time, I can have all the bucks together. Or I can separate them if need be, but they'll still have contact with one another. So that is for the boys...

For the girls, what I'd ultimately like to do is to first off enlarge the current pen. But after I move boys out of the barn, I'm going to put dividing fences up between the three stalls on that side of the barn. I want the horses divided up because Bully, the old one is a jerk to Sophie, the young one...So I'll enlarge those pens and divide them up. For the third stall on that side, I'm going to turn it into a junior doe/yearling pen so that I can keep the young 'uns separated from the milkers/mothers. Then on the other side of the barn, where I have the does currently, I'm going to take that second stall and make that into a "kid" pen to keep the babies when they are being weaned or separated prior to milk test. I'm going to build a small pen off that stall for the kids to be in. Oh and I want to build a pen and shelter to house the boy kids separately from the girls once they're old enough. I already have three kidding pens that I can put up really easily in the doe stall, so right now I'm ok on that. Though I'll probably build some in one of the other stalls as well. I just wish I could bulldoze the whole barn and start over ;)

I'm sure I'll think of other stuff as I go...I'd sort of like to sell Sophie, the QH mare and then I'd have her stall opened up for goats as well. I'm not 100% on that though! I'll see if I get back into riding or not.

So those are my plans! For now...

14. pennylullabelle

Hehe I hear people screaming in Japanese when "The Monster" goes trumping down the isle!

I like your plan...it's similar to what I am thinking. I am thinking of moving the horses into one stall since they only use one. Then divide the two stalls into my kidding pens...the stalls are 16x16 so if I do several 8x4 pens I can separate moms, kids, or anyone else who needs to be in an easy to catch situation...like Thumper and Shiloh who are very standoffish and kind of wild. I wouldn't mind putting them in a small pen so I can catch and handle them everyday until they are use to me enough to be catchable when I need them...

The 4 small pens inside the stalls would open up to one of my big pens. Then I could also just built Courageous a buck pen away from the barn and build him his own stall. Hmmm...I think I like that. Then the seniors/kids would be in the pen with all the small pens inside the stalls and the juniors/doelings in my other large pen...

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I had a large sr. doe pen. My dry yearlings were also in here. A kid pen That kids went in at about a week old. A baby pen that all the newborns went in till they were a week or so old. One big communal buck pen. A 16x16 breeding pen ( i had more then one buck)
    We have two barn, one is smaller the does have a run in loafing area, the kids and bucks each have their own seperate shed. Then we have the kidding barn There are stalls set up as well as hay storage.
    beth

16. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I have three pens. We have the main pen which had four goat houses. It's a dry lot pen. It opens up into a small pasture that I'd like to expand with more fencing. This is where the does live. I also have two small pens with sheds. One is for the bucks, the other for the babies. Right now, with no infant goats, there are 3 doelings in there born last spring. I'd love a yearling pen, but hubby doesn't want to build me another goat yard to clean. I don't have any closed kidding stalls. With the four goat houses, there is usually one unoccupied house for me to take a goat in to kid. If the weather is really nasty, I sometimes bring a doe into my garage/milk parlor to kid. The cars don't live in the garage. It serves as a storage area and milk parlor and has a dirt floor

17. pennylullabelle

Goatkid - I have genuinely considered converting my garage into something for the animals. I don't park my car in there, so it's basically empty. If nothing else it would be nice for milking...hmmm....

Right now I have my stand and my supplies in my tack room which isn't attached to my barn, but it's only like 20 feet away. My garage is clear across my property. But it's very small!!