The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 8 pregnant does and are fairly new to this. We've only had one doe kid before and she did it just fine when we are all at work. I keep reading about having to assist, and want to be prepared if needed.
How do you know if your doe needs help and what is the first thing you should do?
How would you assist if the kid needed to be pulled out?
If you have to go "in" how do you know what to feel for/what you are feeling?
Any other advice would be great! thanks!

·
184 Posts
Read a lot of posts in this section.
Get some decent goat books to have on hand . Read them BEFORE kidding.
Bookmark good goat sites
Subscribe to GoatER at yahoo groups. You can email with your dilemma and phone number in an emergency.
Develop a good 3D idea of goat anatomy.

Whew! There's a start.

This year, I had one kidding where my assistance mattered. I had a kiko-boer doe who was walking around with one hoof protruding from vagina. Yikes! It w!as a really big hoof. Gloved up and lubed up and gently went in. I could tell it was a front hoof by seeing the hoof and feeling which way the knee bent. Big hoof. Found second leg with hoof folded back at knee and a huge head. Both behind the pubic bone. Gently pushed kid back in a little, hooked a finger under bent leg and it straightened out. I now had two huge hooves hanging out and feared the big head would not fit through. Did some cervical massage in a circular fashion. Now, when the does pushed, a little nose peeked out and would then retract. After I saw the nostrils take a breath, I knew we couldn't wait too long. I held onto the two hooves, and the doe seemed to realize I was anchoring the kid . At her next contraction, she leaned forward, pushing and straining to walk away, and finally the ten-pounder slid out! (First time I had a does help 'pull' her own kid!). His seven and a half pound sister followed 15 minutes later. This kid had the largest, roundest head I had ever seen. We call him Melon head.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,075 Posts
We have 8 pregnant does and are fairly new to this. We've only had one doe kid before and she did it just fine when we are all at work. I keep reading about having to assist, and want to be prepared if needed.

How do you know if your doe needs help and what is the first thing you should do?
When a doe begins active labor (pushing) you should have progress within a half an hour. If she's pushing with no progress for awhile, it's time to go in and straighen things out. This year, all we had to do was break water.

How would you assist if the kid needed to be pulled out?
Pull out and down with the pushes. Try to get a kid into a position it can be birthed at. Look up kidding positions -- look up youtube vids of goat births and you will also see some of this. Ideal presentation is two front hooves with a nose in-between, or two back hooves. One of my does likes to present her kids with one front foot and a nose. It was fine because they were small and she wooshed them out so fast we didn't have time to correct it :laugh:

If you have to go "in" how do you know what to feel for/what you are feeling?
This can be tough. Try to find a limb and trace it back to the body. Feel for a tail or a mouth (teeth).

Any other advice would be great! thanks!
Number 1 advice: VET, VET, VET!!! Find one, two if you can! You want them on call, especially for your first few kiddings, in case you need them. If you don't have a vet (or even if you do) try to find an experienced breeder nearby who would be willing to drive down and help you if need be. Experience is priceless.
Answers in red :)

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Great advise. I want to be at EVERY delivery. And, I don't wait tooo long. If I don't see progress within 30-40 minutes of active labor I start investigating. One year I was watching Bambi on the camera...she looked up into the lens and yelled "Help"...I flew out to the barn...to find my first "transverse" kid (missed the exit, I could feel the backbone), had to push it back and get ahold of head, which was pointed down, under one leg. I thought I was delivering a dead kid at that point. But, NO, she's alive and well and about to freshen for the 2nd time.

If you find yourself in similar situation...remember...once you have a hold of the head, don't let go! She snapped it back and into the same position, so I had to do it again!

Read all of these previous birthing posts, even the bad ones (especially the bad ones), we all learn a little from the trials of others. That is what this site is all about...learning...learning...teaching others. Good luck! It always helps a little to ask for help...please Lord...help me help my doe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts