How do you breed your goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Perfect7, May 9, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I know it's a bit early for us to be thinking about this, but it's about time to seperate Goliath from the girls since he's 2 1/2 months old (along with his wether buddy, Wooly Bully) so we are planning the design/size of our buck pen. The breed is boer if it makes a difference.
    Do you put the buck out with the girls for a couple weeks in September/October and then pull them back out, wait 3 weeks for signs of heat and repeat if necessary? Or do you bring them in one at a time to the buck pen? Leave them in there for days/a week? Take both buck and doe to a seperate area so the buck learns not to get aggressive in his pen? I know there are probably lots of different methods, but would be great to hear the pros and cons of each way to do things before we build the buck pen. Thank you all!!!

2. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We normally pen the bucks by the doe pens and when a doe hangs out by the fence then we put her and the buck we want to use for her breeding into a pen by themselves untill she is bred a couple of times then we put them back in their pens. And towards the end of our breeding season when we are sure most or all have been bred we put a cover buck in the pen and watch for any sign of anyone coming back in. But for most of the year the bucks are penned on one end of our house and the does on the other. Baby bucks are kept in a separate pen untill they are big enough to stand up for themselves.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It depends.. if you want to stretch out breedings....or not.... if you don't care to stretch it out...then...what I do with my boers is... leave the buck out for about 3 months.... that way.... you can see.... who is being chased and bred ...write down the day on the calender and which doe(s) was bred...... some does don't take the 1st time.... but will take on the 2nd..... I like to go through ...a few cycles... to be sure that they took ....when a doe comes in season...write it on the calender.... count 18 to 21 days.... and see if... that doe comes in or not... in that next cycle.... if not...she should be bred..... if she comes in... write down on the calender again...
    Sometimes if it is really hot...then the bucks like to breed at night or in the morning ....sometimes you can hear....the "what what's"... or go out at night to check to see... if one is in season... and being chased... if so write that doe down on the calender.... Write down each day you see a doe bred even if ...it is 2 days or?

All this works for me...and I always know... when my girls will drop....give or take a few days...LOL :D some hold on a bit longer..... hope this helps.... :wink: :thumb:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I do alot like Briana - my bucks and does share a fence line. When i feel that one is in heat - I will put them in the love shack (horse stall) or I will take the buck out on a leash, let him breed her a couple times and then take him back to the buck pen.

This year, I only had one buck - so I just put him in with the girls and checked "tails" everynight at feeding for signs and documented - well that sucked when it came time to kidding - cause alot of them recycled on a 5 day heat and I didn't know it - so i was pulling my hair out.

5. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    LOL @ Love Shack!

I will hand breed like Allison describes, using the love shack idea.

I think that turning a buck out with the girls would make me stress like crazy!

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No stress here.... they all do just fine.... :wink: :thumb:

7. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Do you do the countdowns and try to be there when they kid? Or do you trust your girls to git-r-done?

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The FF-ers... I like to be there for them... but my pro's.... are good to go...I do like to be there for them all .....just in case something goes wrong though.... :wink:

9. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    So do you just eye ball for who's looking close? And do you only use one buck?

I know I was a real stress case when my doe had her kids.. and I STILL missed it lol.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... I do know the signs...when I see them and it is cold out or it is nighttime... then put them in a kidding stall....I check on them every 1/2 hour or hour..... I am pretty good about catching them.... I also go out in the middle of the night... checking .....when my does are due.... it doesn't bother me ...to do so.... :wink:

I have 2 bucks...I put 1/2 my herd with 1... and the other 1/2 ....with the other buck....

11. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Those are all great ideas, and I also laughed at the love shack! :eek:hlala: If it's easy to catch them in the act like Pam described, I think that way will be much easier once our little guy grows to 300+ pounds. I keep imagining myself trying to walk him on a leash or get out of the way leading the girls into him since he'll be about triple my size!
    This year we are only going to breed four does (unless we add on by fall) so it wont be too difficult, and he's so young he may not be able to do much at all. But next year.....
    And Pam, your boers are just gorgeous! That's what boers are supposed to look like...

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    "That's what boers are supposed to look like.."

I'm pretty sure hers are better. ;)

I handbreed mine, much less stressful, I have school and I like to be able to schedule them, or at least a little bit.

this year I just threw the buck in there, some didn't take, and the ones that did, I had to guess. :doh:

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Katrina, I'm jealous of both of you for having such beautiful boers. It wasn't hard to fall in love with them at all and I've quickly become an addict. This year we will definitely hand breed with our small herd and three of the four does will be ff, along with a young buck....
    But I also have a horse stall, so either way I now know I wont have to make a ginormous buck pen to accomidate some of the girls and the boys too during season in the future. Thanks to all! :grouphug:

14. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    when my family did dairy goats we put the buck in with the girls for a couple days... he was huge and since we tethered him outside of the does pen the day before he always got each of them a few times. i cant remember any of the does not getting bred... but personally i think it would be easier to bring the doe to the buck in a small pen when she is in heat. then you can watch and make sure she gets bred and you can write down the exact date.

15. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    If you don't mind I would like to ask a question!

If you are getting a buck on loan, what way would be better...just throw him out with the does or put him in a pen and watch when the does come in, putting her in the pen with the buck?

16. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I hand breed everything here, but if you have just one buck to use and have a limited amount of time, you could definately just put him in there with the girls. He'll get it done. Just check tails every day.

17. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I don't want to sound incredibly stupid, but would I be checking tails for residue? Are we talking the pooch or the actual underside of their tail where it's bald? :oops:

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You'll see "residue" or evidence of the buck covering the doe...most times it's matted tail hair or dried ick on the skin of her tail.

19. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.

20. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, there will be an almost snott like discharge (usually) once the doe is bred. It will get picked up by the end of the tail, dry, and become crusty after a bit. Sometimes it will become puffy and a doe with pink skin it can even become kind of pink when she is in heat.