How do you count?

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by crocee, Apr 29, 2010.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    When counting the number of days the doe is pregnant how do you do it. Is each month counted as 30 days without the extra 1 every other month or do you count it also. I am trying to decide if Pickles is on day 140 or 142.Her first breeding date was 12/10/09 but she may have had a 5 day heat. Her udder is getting pretty tight and according to the calculator her due date is 5/10/10, don't think she will be able to hold them in that long though.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use the calculator on fiasco farm sometimes but basically I just get a calendar out and count 150 days from the breeding date.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Write it out on the calander...I number every day up to 150 so that way it is easy to look at the calander and know what day they're on.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    She has 10 days left so I guess today would be 140 for the first possible due date. We didn't bring in the buck until 12/10/09.

5. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I also just count on the calendar. I also do not count the day I "bred" her but start with the next day.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is a good site.. :thumbup: :greengrin:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    with breeding on 12/10...150 days would be 5/9, add in a 5 day heat and if she was bred during that 5 day heat she likely settled on the 2nd breeding, all the does I've had bred on the 5 day heat have settled the 2nd breeding. With the 2nd breeding she'd hit 150 on the 14th.

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks everyone. I would love it if she settled on the second breeding date as I would be home if she lasted that long. As it is I have to work on the 9th and won't be home until after 7am on the 10th. Hubby and son will have to deliver if she goes any where between 5/8 and 5/12

9. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I thought Nigis were only 145 days? I have JackieO due on Wednesday, May 5 at day 145-I'm guessing that if they go over no big deal-until day 150 is normal? I wish she would have them when I am here...but I guess nature is nature and they come when they want...I just want healthy kids!

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    No idea about Nigis yet but the standard goats usually go 147-155.