how do you dehorn a 7 week old kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SDK, Nov 21, 2008.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    why you ask?

because my dehorner is broken .. i dehorned twists babies at like a week.. and sure enough they are growing little nubbins..

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So they don't really have horns right? You burn them the same way, but a bit longer and make sure you peel off the horn/bud thats growing and make a X with the disbudder right over where the bud was.

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    there like mutated retarded horn buds

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    yeah, they will look weird, just need to burn them really good this time and make sure you get the bud off.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah thats not uncommon if you dont use enough pressure or the iron isnt hot enough all the way around.

I would cut away the hair make sure you have a clear view of the entire horn base. Burn it then do the X like Ashely said. Sometimes the top part comes off, with reburning I have never seen it NOT come off as the process causes a ditachment of the top layer of the horn....I am probably not explaining it right.

I hate doing it the first time...second time isnt much better :(

Just give your iron double the amount of time to heat up and check it a couple times before using and then let it heat back up again before doing the other side.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i think my problem was.. my original dehorner isn't functioning right.. so i used the one for calves and large goats and it just burned around it.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well then that one is probably the right size now