How do you do it!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Apr 13, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    So I think I am going to go into the show goat world so that means needing more registered goats.........BIG problem, mom won't allow it (she says I am 4 goats over my limit already lol, I reminded her I was actually 5 over hehe)

So to get more registered I have to sell some of my current herd -- OUCH

how do you all thin out your herd? I mean how to you let go of your babies!!!!!!! :sigh:

I MAYBE able to convince her to let me have just ONE more but that is very SLIM.

My other option was to sell some of them to my grandmom --- yes I'm very naughty :slapfloor:

But really my new barn isn't going to hold much more then I already have so I do need to think about thinning out if I do want to get more. Oh how sad :cry:

So how do you do it? :worried:

(note: I will wait till this summer or fall before I purchase any new does, and I want to experience another show and maybe take sweet pea to it before I commit to selling and purchasing new stock but it has been on my mind and each day I go out there I can't think about selling a single one. :tears: )

2. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I had this very same mindset when I sold my unregistereds; I don't want them going to strangers...However, when I finally got up the gumption to do it, it was not that hard. You get to know the buyers, and I knew my goats were being very well loved and taken care of at their new respective homes- and I am so happy to have the registereds; the shows in our area are so fun, laid back, and everyone is so helpful, I cannot wait till show season starts! Plus you often see reg. goats you have sold at shows or hear of updates on them either through show wins or through a website..which does not often happen with unreg. buyers. That is the other thing I love about reg..

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh yes I will be VERY specific about where my does go if I do get the nerve to do it! Also holding me back is my grandmothers love for certain ones. I don't want to upset her as she loves them so.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Julie are you going to the show on memorial day weekend?? where is it? Teri said something about it but didn't say where it was

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    It isnt easy but to improve your herd sometimes it is necessary. You only hope you find the best home and all works out well.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know you did this recently Teresa - so how do you feel about your new does? do they feel the same or not like really your own goats yet?

7. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I am thinking about it, if I stay here then I will probably go- although I would probably only take Honey, as I have a kid reserved from Teri that I may show then too. I don't know specifics, so I asked Teri about- she is so friendly and helpful!

8. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I thought it was going to be harder to let my minis leave-but after they left it wasn't so bad. I knew they were going to a good home and I knew that I needed to have goats that were going to contribute more in the milk barn, so they weren't just eating and not producing much.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I know! She is going to help me learn about showing by helping her and emily get the goats ready for the show. I am super excited!!! :leap:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh and I am not going to tell you who I am thinking of selling but want your oppions on who you would sell (pick 1 or 2)

Destiny - 5 years old, Great mother but doesn't have a good udder at all or produce a lot. I was told she had twins who were bottle fed - rejected - on her first freshioning, has only singled so far with me - 2 bucklings. Both bucklings had some weird sores that no one could help me figure out the cause, this cleared up after 2 weeks of treatment, possibly genetic? She has the sweetest personality though not overly friendly you can catch her and do just about anything with no problems, well except for hoof trimmings! she is my herd queen???

Aspen - 2 years old. A great mother and great udder so far it is even bigger then last year. Singled last year with a buckling, hoping for twins this year. She is very flighty and can be such a pain. Not very correct in anything besides her udder, very steep in her rump and her overall look isn't that stunning as she toes out and isn't very flat boned.

Mia - 2 years old, a good mother. Udder could use improvement, not much capacity at all first time around. Kidded with a single doeling last year. Rather bratty and diva like, life is all about her. She maybe the smallest but has the biggest personality.

Flicka - 6 years old. An ok mother. She was one of my rescues last year and has come such a long way. Had difficulty kidding last year, lost one kid (FF). She is flighty yet has a sweet personality. Requires extra attention as her health is fragile due to her previous home. she doesnt buddy up to anyone and is sort of an outcast.

Misty - 6 years old. A good mother. She also was one of my rescues and kidded with a single buckling last year (FF) and her udder surprised me, it was a nice size and shape. She has her very sweet moments and times when she wants you to leave her alone. Doesn't have the health issues that Flicka has.

Jasper - 1 1/2 year old wether. Sweet, sweet, sweet personality, must have my attention. He looks ugly really being part just about everything! lol Has horns that were stunted and are very small. Does nothing but eat food and demand my attention and boss the girls around. Will be teaching him to be a pack goat possibly this summer.

Sweet Pea - registered doe, she is staying for now.

11. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I am very happy with my group of girls now. It was hard at first getting every here, healthy and putting weight on everyone. Then the bonding began and they are all so sweet and loving. They are now a herd and have order within it. I do miss my other goats at times and wonder how they are doing but I got lucky and all of my original herd of pygmy goats went together as a herd to their new home. I am gonna keep some doelings this year and that will be alot of fun.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Right now I am having a hard time bonding with Sweet Pea, I know with the others our bond happened with kidding so I am giving it time to see how things progress.

13. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Judging from what you said above, I would sell Misty and Aspen. They seem to be your flightiest goats, and if I remember corrctly, Misty was a bit mean to some of your other girls? As for Aspen, since her conformation isn't that great and she is timid, then I would sell her too.

One I would definitely not sell is Flicka, becasue of her delicate health- it could be hard to find a home that will take care of her as well as you have. Also, if you get more goat they will probably buddy up to her. But I can think of other you could sell also/instead..

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thanks Julie.

My heart achs to think of selling any of them. But if I am going to do it I need to prepare myself now to detach that is why I am getting peoples oppions now who aren't attached and can give objective oppions.

15. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    sorry you have 2 sell a couple of your goats...

"It isnt easy, but to improve your herd sometimes it is necessary." DITTO.

Im sure you have a good idea what goats you want to keep..

Hope it all works out.
    Take care.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you are right I do have an idea --------- but that is based purely on emotion and I want to be more objective about it. Who knows I still may sell based on emotion.

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacey, I have to agree that it is very hard to reduce your herd, but if you want to show them, then you have to do what is best for you. This year I have decided to sell a lot of my cashmere herd because of the very DRY winter we had and it is just going to be very hard to feed them. i am like you I have to know where they are going and I have to make sure they go to a good home. I sell them for a price that I know if they are willing to pay that price, I figurer they will take care of them, but I do not sell them to high t hat i never get ride of them.
    I have a lady that is going to purchase 4 goats, but I will not be here when they come get them, (I will be in Vegas). That is good for me. My daughter will be there to see them off. I cry :tears: :tears: WAY to much when they leave. (I am a BIG BABY). I also get to keep in contact with them all the time.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well because of this Julie said she wants Misty So that is a happy sad thing!

19. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    this is very hard to do. i am on a fixed income & do all the care myself. every eyear i have to sell some to make room for the new ones. having a dairy herd for show & reeeding this is how i do it. my does must have 2 out of 3 of these. they must be on the show string(must be high show quality) must have a great udder to give lots of milk & they must have great babies. it is always so hard to do but my goats are not cheap & if people are buying for milk & paying my price i am fairly sure they are going to a great home. you have to learn to do this with your head not your heart.

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I would sell Destiny and Aspen, those would be my two picks.

I've also decided to sell off a couple of my grades after they kid, but I'm doing it because I don't have the room for a thousand does, and I really want to start to concentrate on a LaMancha herd. You have to learn to let go sometime :wink: