The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our 5th year in 4H packgoats. I have 5 kids on our group this year. We have 2 kids who have been here since the beginning, but are in different age groups. I have one 18 year old, who has has been in it off and on for 3 years. 2 brand new kids to goats and 4h ages 17 and the other one is 7th grade I believe.
How do you go about doing classes for these guys for a show? Our local club sponsors trophies and this year they are doing 1st - 5th place trophies for the kids. Do we just do a straight obstacle course, or do I set up as Novice, Intermediate, Advanced? But then this would put 2 kids in novice (big difference in their ages), 1 in Intermediate, and 2 in advance (very big difference in their ages). :confused:
Last year we just ran all the kids through the obstacle course but we only had one new person for a total of 3 kids.
Also, I have some of the kids that want to show an older goat that is experienced and then they want to do a baby.
And another also, some want to do pack stringing. They wouldn't do this on a course would they? The older kids and more advanced kids are making this a little more complicated this year!

·
Registered
200 Posts
We do a combination of child experience and goat experience. Essentially, if this is a first showing for BOTH goat and child, the'll be in novice. If EITHER the goat OR the child has shown three times, they are advanced. In between is intermediate. We don't permit showing of multiple goats as we aren't really regarding it as a typical conformance event where the goat is being judged, but rather the skill of the handler being evaluated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts