The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really aggravated with these people & I need help I'm figuring out what to do..
This is the story.

About 5 years ago, in Sanford, these people bought a bunch of goats to put on land to clear it. A bunch died off & when one dies they replace it with another.
It's usually boers and nubians.
I've gone up to the fence & tried to give them some feed and stuff but most are skittish.
They are all SO sick & skinny. I tear up every time I go by there.
I took a video of the goats that are there now & screen shotted them to get a picture.
It doesn't show very well how the goats look.

I really want to do something about it but don't know what to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is, they don't live on the property & I never see anyone there.
It says Seminole farms but when I google it, I don't get what I believe is them.
I also don't think they have grain ever or have water. They have a lake that I see them drink from.

I would call the ASPCA BUT, they are right down the road and see them all the time.
Everyone thinks it's "so cool that they have goats!"
Big no one realizes they are malnourished & not being cared for properly. :(

·
14,760 Posts
I'd contact ASPCA, or your local sheriff. Explain the situation to the sheriff and see if they can go out and take a look for themselves.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
It makes me sad to here this, but I would talk with authorities and your veterinarian. Maybe have the vet come out and evaluate the goats and that way the police can have a "professional" opinion on them. Not saying they won't believe you, but it may happen.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Last year I would pass by these 2 pretty horses. And every time they started looking worse and worse. I watched them waste away for a few months until I couldn't take it any more and it was obvious that the owners weren't caring for them or doing anything to help them. I tried to call animal control but found out that my county doesn't have one only a city dog shelter and they said they couldn't do anything .which was very frustrating. So I called the county sheriffs department. A couple days later I just happened to be driving by at the exact moment to see the police and a horse trailer . They were loading them up and took them from the owners. I was so happy because I really didn't think they were gonna do anything about it.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
The problem is people are not educated about goats...to many people, a goat is a tin can garbage eating machine who needs little to no care..it would be nice to figure out how to get the word out they are so much more..if they would simply worm them and toss a bale of alfalfa a couple of times a week at least and provide a clean water source, UGH....its so sad

A agree..call the sheriff ..see what can be done

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Yes, most places the livestock fall under the Sheriff's Department not the Animal Shelter.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys!!

I'm not quite sure about Seminole county (where te goats are at) but in volusia county (where I live)..... I'm about 5 min away from them.
There are no livestock places that rescue. In Seminole there might be.
I know occasionally they take in a goat or a pot belly pig at the Seminole county animal shelter.

I will talk to a sheriff.

I don't know how someone could just not care. :/
Breaks my heart..

One thing I forgot to mention- they have babies all the time. But I have NO idea where the babies go.. They just disappear within usually a weeks time..:/

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried talking to someone about it & they're were like "it doesn't matter, the goats aren't yours."

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I never saw this thread before; that's awful! So sorry. Right on our road, there are these sheep, and I hate to look at them. :( it's basically the same situation. I never see people there, no grain or anything. I can't see a water trough from the road, but there must be one somewhere, though I'd be willing to bet it's filthy.There's a ram in there with ONE huge horn- I've seen him, he has to have his head pulled down on one side all the time.:(
The poor things are alway skinny, (they have babies once a year i think) and I've never seen a human there. They occasionally have a new round bale in there to eat, but it always looks old and possibly moldy. It's the saddest thing, and they're right at the edge of town, I mean, there's an intersection RIGHT there, and nobody has of one anything. I've always felt bad about them, it i don't know anything about sheep, so I couldn't be sure they were really mistreated.
Lately I've been thinking ill try to find out who owns them, and see if I can't get my dad to call them or something. If only we had somewhere to put them, I would want to buy them.
It's so sad, and hard to know what to do.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't had ANY luck in helping them.

No info on who owns them, the cops won't help me, I called a vets office and they said they can't do anything.
It's endless here. No one has any answers!:/
Maybe ill go "borrow" the babies when they kid. Lol
You'll see the babies for a few days then they're gone.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
I know farmers who have the survive or not mode of thinking...they need brush to be cleaned up and if coyotes pick them off one by one they just get more from the sale barn..Most likely the kids being born are coyote dinners :mad:..I just dont see what you can do legally at this point...They do belong to them regarless. Its not illegal to run live stock...and its not illegal not to feed them additional hay or grain or minerals...they will find they have pasture and Im sure a water source..so they are considered fed and watered..It is frustrating to say the least...Im sorry youhave to see them day in and day out..

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Cathy!

A lady that lives 30 seconds from them says the babies sometimes go through the fence like RIGHT at the road onto county property.
So, I could hang out a while and wait for them to do that? Maybe then I could help the babies.
I feel HORRIBLE!:(

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
awwww....that sucks. it's like that here too....but people TIE THEM OUT in the heat, with no water. unfortunately, you can't save them all.

BUT good news is if a baby wanders on to the road, you can (try to) grab them and save that one. if anyone asks, you "found" a stray goat on the road that you saved from being run over....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts