The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Irish Roots Acres NDG's
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!

So I have been worrying about some of my goats not getting enough food due to the bullies pushing the out of the way. I have little rubber bowls places around their indoor stall in an attempt to make sure everyone is fed but I do not think it is working too well.

How do you feed your goats?

Thanks!

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
I tie all of them to the fence about 15 feet apart, then bring out the grain and pour it into their individual buckets.

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
Some people will tether their goats at feeding time or only allow a few in the barn at one time to eat then let the bullies in last after the others have gotten their fill.

I have individual stalls for mine so everyone only gets what I put in their feeders.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Have you tried doubling the number of feed pans? That is what I did back when I first got into goats and believed the stuff I read about goats needing grain. It worked out pretty good. If you have the facilities to separate the more timid ones from the more aggressive ones, that would work also. I know not everyone has that capability, though. :)

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I am able to separate goats in different stalls. Everyone knows where they eat and automatically go there now.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Its all about feeder space. Give em enough and everyone will get what they need. Adding a couple of pics of the feeder style I like best.

Attachments

·
2,203 Posts
Absolutely tethering is the answer!!

I'll never go back to feed trough feeding now.

·
Irish Roots Acres NDG's
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I will have to start tethering. I just have one goat that just really doesn't like people and I have to catch lol

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Once she/ he learns that being tied means food, it will look forward to it. Always tether each one in the same spot and say a command, like "line up", and they will soon just go right to their spot!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I only have three goats, one I leave in the stall to feed, the kid is in his own pen with a lttle bit of grain,until mama is done being milked, then I feed grain to my milker while I milk her. But if I had more goats.. I would definately use a feed trough. It seems it would save time to use a trough... and less hassle. Just my opinion.

·
2,203 Posts
Keyhole feeders are much easier, quicker and more efficient than tethering.
I have had two strangulation cases on my property because of keyhole and spooking while eating. Can't get their head out fast, panic, and flail until they cannot breathe. Ever tried lifting a panicked, dead weight standard dairy goat ?

·
Banned
43 Posts
I used keyholes for years with no problems. They were sized correctly for the goats, and I always stay while they eat. It only takes a few minutes for them to clean everything up, much less time than it would take to tether a few. By watching them eat, I know if anyone is off feed too. It's all juts part of good management. Milking does of course all get fed on the stand as they should, but in today's world where a goat is no longer used for what it was intended, things are changing, so of course people are running into problems that early breeders never dreamed would need solutions.

·
2,203 Posts
It only takes but a minute. I was standing there watching the whole thing both times. A bear ran through the field, they smelled it, one freaked. The rest felt that tension/fear and they freaked as well. That was the first time. The second time my friend came to visit and his truck backfired and scared all of them. My dairy does are fed 2x a day on the stand, as well as their daily ration as a herd to maintain their socialization. Mine were correctly sized and placed at proper height as well. They also had a sliding block in the front to block them from entering when not feeding.

From what you said I took offense as to it almost sounded like improper management creates problems? There are so many things than can go wrong instantaneously that we have no control over.

Perhaps I'm a touch over exaggerating.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
It only takes but a minute. I was standing there watching the whole thing both times. A bear ran through the field, they smelled it, one freaked. The rest felt that tension/fear and they freaked as well. That was the first time. The second time my friend came to visit and his truck backfired and scared all of them. My dairy does are fed 2x a day on the stand, as well as their daily ration as a herd to maintain their socialization. Mine were correctly sized and placed at proper height as well. They also had a sliding block in the front to block them from entering when not feeding.

From what you said I took offense as to it almost sounded like improper management creates problems? There are so many things than can go wrong instantaneously that we have no control over.

Perhaps I'm a touch over exaggerating.
Wow, that's a freak couple of accidents! How awful....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts