The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all! Been a minute and a half since I posted on here, that's for sure! Still loving the goat life, but this year we had a couple of odd deliveries, and it's made me think I need to change something in how I feed my pregnant does.

Out of paranoia of causing large kids, I haven't fed my pregnant does any grain. They get all the alfalfa pellets they want, hay, minerals, copper and selenium, but no grain. This year I had two does who weren't dilated and we needed vet assistance with both deliveries. The does were mother and daughter, so I'm open to the possibility of it being genetic, but I was told by a friend of mine that when she added grain to her pregnant does' diets, their deliveries improved. She said the worst kidding year she ever had was the year she didn't feed them any grain.

So, I'm going to change some things up, but I'm not sure of what kind of grain I should go for, why, and how much. I would love to see what works for you guys! Right now the grain we feed our milkers is Triple Crown Naturals - I would love to keep using that, but I'm not sure if it would be ideal for pregnancy or not.

·
Super Moderator
58,223 Posts
What else are you feeding? What supplements do you give? Do those girls need more copper or selenium than others? I bet the grain you are feeding would be fine. I'd also suggest weekly Replamin Plus for those 2.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
I do give grain, but not a large amount. During pregnancy, Nigies get about one 6 oz yogurt scoop of grain twice a day. My Lamanchas get twice that.

I did just have one girl develop ketosis and hypocalcemia toward the end, but she was carrying at least 4 (possibly 5). Looking back, I should have been boosting her with some "magic" and some CMPK during her last month. However, her kidding was the first troublesome kidding we've had in 7 years of delivering kids.

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, Karen! I give BoSe four weeks before delivery, and copper bolus probably every three months or so, as needed. They do have access to free-choice minerals as well. I will add Replamin Plus to the regimen. Do you feed Replamin to your pregnant does all throughout the pregnancy, or during the last leg?

Hey, Groovyoldlady! Thanks for the info, it's good to know the amount you feed.

Do either of you think the alfalfa pellets are a good choice for calcium?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I feed mine pretty close to free choice alfalfa (basically just enough they will eat in about a 20 hour period and 24 hours later when I go to feed it’s all gone with no waste). I don’t feed grain either but I do get protein tubs and leave out 24/7 but really I do this all year so the only difference between pego and open is less brows/grass but mostly brush, and more alfalfa. My kiddings have actually very much improved since I stopped giving grain! Kids mostly in the correct position (every now and then I’ll have one that’s off) smaller kids, no more full blown preg. Tox. I did have a little first timer that was border line high on her ketone test last year but I honestly thing it’s because she was too fat. She was talented enough to turn her bones to liquid and I couldn’t keep her out of the creep feeder. 2 years ago I had a terrible kidding but figured out it was selenium defiency even though it wasn’t classic signs. If I were to put money on your dilation problem I would say either yes genetics or maybe even some kind of mineral. Don’t let all the signs listed for each mineral fool you! With mine and the selenium I had kids that had weak cords and basically was delivering drowned kids. No where on any google search could I find how that points to selenium! The only way I even figured it out was another breeder had the same issue and where she took her kids to get a necropsy they actually tested selenium and it was low. Where I took my dead kids they tested everything but selenium. So I don’t trust anything any more basically lol

·
Registered
609 Posts
ThreeHeaven,
You got lots of good information from the above posts. So much so that I do not exactly know how to interpret it and apply to your program. I am pretty much a believer in the process of giving the animals access to the minerals they need and let them do the deciding on when and how much they need. As for the feed which I believe was your intended question, Moderation moderation! Pregnant does like pregnant cows will turn high protein food into large body calves and kids. So I am not a big fan in giving a pregnant doe a lot of high protein feed. Now feeding a small amount of grain and keeping your doe in good health is a desired fact. So if you feed your pregnant does just use moderation and maybe a little lower protein level of feed. Alfalfa is high protein!

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone. It's overwhelming to pick out the "right way". I know I need to change something, but finding that something is the tricky part.

I will try to feed just a little good grain to my pregnant does next season, and continue to give BoSe, copper, and add the replamin.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Hey, Karen! I give BoSe four weeks before delivery, and copper bolus probably every three months or so, as needed. They do have access to free-choice minerals as well. I will add Replamin Plus to the regimen. Do you feed Replamin to your pregnant does all throughout the pregnancy, or during the last leg?

Hey, Groovyoldlady! Thanks for the info, it's good to know the amount you feed.

Do either of you think the alfalfa pellets are a good choice for calcium?
I haven't used the alfalfa pellets here, but my understanding is that they are indeed a good source of calcium. I've been trying to think of a way to include them in my feeding regimen without my hubby freaking over me buying more bags of goat stuff!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been giving my pregnant does grains and alfalfa/orchard grass mix, and of course free choice minerals. I also give them 1 tums every evening...should I lessen their grain amount, they get about 3/4 cup a day. Last year one of my does miscarried, baby too big. The grain I feed them is Hugelland Feed, made in TX - Non GMO feed. All natural, SOY FREE feed

·
Fair-Haven
4,614 Posts
What breed of goats do you have? What was the doe that miscarried bred to? Do you know if the sire tends to throw large kids? Miscarriage is usually NOT due to the size of the kid. Do you mean she had trouble during a full term kidding? The amount you are giving does not seem like a lot for standard size goats. I'm not familiar with your feed. What % of protein is it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry, all Nigerian Dwarfs. She is a bit on the small size, and yes she had trouble, and I think because she had only one baby. percent of protein - 18%
thanks for your response

1 - 14 of 14 Posts