how do you get rid of that "buck" smell?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by citygoat, Sep 18, 2008.

1. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    my bucks are one year old and have that "buck" smell. every time pet them or just go feed them i get that smell on my hands. soap doesn't seem to get it off. is there a cretin soap or something else that will wash off the smell?
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It will be useless to try and get the smell off of them....unless you want to wether them. LOL. I use regular old Original Dawn dishsoap and water as hot as I can stand it....seems to work with me, I also make goat milk soap and a bar of that is good for getting rid of the buck stink.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I heard goat milk soap works awesome for that also!
  4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Coffee grounds are good for getting rid of odors...I have no idea how, but it works. When my dog got sprayed by a skunk this was the only thing that helped to get the smell off my hands. I just mixed a bunch in with some regular hand soap and scubbed really good for a few minutes.
  5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    oh have another idea -

Plug ur nose! :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
  6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is great.

I use Goat milk Soap. it is wonderful. Plus you can look for some stuff called Buck Off. It is a soap like stuff that will get rid of it. i chose to just use goat soap. You will get use to it sooner or later. :worried:
  7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A little boys tend to stink up my clothes as well as my hands.....STRIP before you try to get the smell off your hands, otherwise you'll still be stinky AFTER you change your clothes. :ROFL:
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Use tooth paste?

:idea: I know how to solve the problem................... get rid of the buck....................smell problem is now solved..

Just kidding LOL :ROFL:
  9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Toothpaste just seems to mask the scent, I use dawn dishsoap, it works the best. I keep a bottle in the shower in the fall actually :)
  10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    I have used tooth paste and lye soap. Wash your hands in toothpaste and rinse them off then use regular hand soap and wash the toothpaste smell off. It works great! I use lye soap now, it works good.
  11. Candy

Candy New Member

Lemon juice works pretty well---but---I guess it just comes with the territory :shrug: If you have a buck, you will also have "STINKY".
  12. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    That Orange hand cleaner that mechanics use-"fast orange" works great-You get rid of the buck smell, but gain an "orangey" smell- :hi5:
  13. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    thanks for all the ideas. i have already tried dawn dish soap and that never works. ive also tried vinegar and regular hand soap. i usually just put on some good smelling lotion. thanks for all the ideas i'll start trying them tomorrow after i feed the goats.
  14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    HOMEMADE GOAT SOAP. tried everything else--- just about went crazy :hair: then i tried some of homemade goat soap and it was GONE :shocked: . HOPE THAT HELPS.
  15. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    when i get goats, if i ever get a buck, its name is automatically "Stink"
  16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Isn't the bucks scent an oily base? If so then an oil based soap should work. You might also try a non insecticidal dog shampoo to wash with. IF worse comes to worse you could always try pinesol (not for sensitive hands). A pine tree is better than a buck any day.
  17. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    We pour a little bit of bleach on our hands and wash them, you can also follow that with a bit of liquid soap if you dont want to smell bleachy. But, it does get rid of the buck smell.
  18. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    :ROFL: That's an idea.
  19. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Yeah, but remember goats can live up to the name they are given:), he could end up being really ornery :) .
  20. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Well I can BRAG a little ... cause I never had any bad buck stink on my farm (thankfully). Not sure why, but my bucks never really stank. Visitors to my farm would even comment on it, and ask me WHY my bucks don't stink!? I don't know if it's because my barn is really aired out good, or what the deal is. But my barn never stinks unless it's barn cleaning day and I'm cleaning out some layers of peed on hay or something. But regularly, my barn doesn't smell. :thumb: :cool:

So I can't give any advice on what works to remove the smell, since I don't really have to deal with a smell :) However, sometimes if I rub my bucks I can smell a lil buck smell on my hands, but not bad. I can't even remember what I've used to get it off, I think just soap. It wasn't ever "bad" though.