The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Saanen/Nubian kidded 3 weeks ago yesterday. I pull the boys from her at night and milk her once in the morning. So after a week of doing this I don't know how you hand milkers do it! You must look like Popeye! My shoulders, pecks, bi's, tri's, forearms and hand muscles ache when I'm done. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. She milks 2 quarts. My Alpine Mae is due to kid in the next 2 weeks. I'm going to look like a bodybuilder by the time all is said and done! I'll be farm girl strong!

One question...When can I start milking her twice a day?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Lol Yep, I've got some pretty impressive muscles if I do say so myself. Don't feel bad though, just a few weeks ago I had ALL the animals in production and was milking seven goats and a Jersey milk cow twice a day, every day, by hand. Boy did that take awhile! Lol I usually don't start milking twice a day until the kids are weaned at three months, but I know a lot of people start much earlier. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
It's hard, but I guess we just have to do it. Three of us here take turns milking our three goats right now, so we don't have it bad at all. For a long time it was just me and my sister, and we would do two goats twice a day, every other day. My hand and arms pretty much always hurt a bit, but if you take breaks and shake it out of your hands once in a while, it helps a lot. And you don't have to go as fast as possible (unless your on a tight schedule) going slow is easier as well. :)Milking twice a day is up to when you want to start bottle feeding, I guess. :)

·
Registered
30,613 Posts
your muscles will adapt....we call it farmasize lol..we do as much by hand as we can..helps build strong bodies..
We pull babies from mom at 2 weeks at night..milk mom in the Am and then lether have babies the rest of the day...we dont ween our buck kids until 3 months unless they are too frisky, then 2 1/2 months if need be..we leave Does on mom for as long as she wants to nurse them..but if you need the milk you can ween at 3 months, I wouldnt rush weening, you want thekids to have a strong start..unless as NDlover said, you want to bottle feed, then I would do that ASAP..the sooner you get them on the bottle they easier it is..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're not going to bottle feed these 2.

I'm assuming that 2 quarts is a good family milker. Do I assume correct?

I won't say I'll always hand milk but I will for as long as I can. I'm a stay at home mom and unless my kids are misbehaving I'm not in a rush. I like that I'm getting toned and definition off hard work not pumping iron at the gym. It's much more satisfying!

It takes me 40 mins to milk her out. Am I a slow poke or is that about average? I talked to one lady that hand milks 3 Saneen goats and she said it takes her 30 mins total

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Once you get some practice you'll be able to milk a lot faster. I timed myself on my does one time, and I was averaging about 8 minutes per. I took a lot longer when I first started though... ;) If two quarts feeds your family, then two quarts is great IMO! :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Wow, you're fast little bits !! How much milk do you get from each of your does in a milking may I ask?

It usually takes me around 5 minutes per goat, but it depends on how much they're giving and which goat it is (aka large or small teats).

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Lol @ farmasize! :)

I milk my nubian in about 10 minutes in the am...she gives 2 quarts every morning and gets baby (was 2 until 2 days ago I sold one)back for the day. Evenings I have been "emptying her out" from whatever is left and get a few ounces then.

You will get stronger....but I haven't noticed as much since I was a CNA for 16 years....LOTS of heavy work there!!

Keep up the good work :)

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I wouldn't milk twice a day until they are weaned.

You get used to it and your muscles don't get to the body builder looking type.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is Jaz's third kidding but her first time milking. She moves the whole time even in stanctions and with grain. So I don't milk into a bucket. I milk one teat at a time and I milk into a 2 cup glass measuring cup. I alternate hands. I don't want to waste a single drop of milk. She is normally so engorged that at about 5 mins of milking I've finally released enough milk that I can handle her teats enough to get long drags of milk from them.

No 2 quarts isn't enough for my family. We have 5 kids and 2 adults. My husband and I are both milk drinkers and consume a quart each with our dinner. Our family goes through 4-5 gallons a week. With Jaz and Mae milking I'm hoping that we will be able to get a gallon a day, more would be GREAT! I'm going to get a Nubian and use her milk solely for cheese. :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Wow, you're fast little bits !! How much milk do you get from each of your does in a milking may I ask?

It usually takes me around 5 minutes per goat, but it depends on how much they're giving and which goat it is (aka large or small teats).
15 pounds per doe, on average. Takes me a little bit longer if they have itty bitty teats.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
^^ that's some serious milk coming out of those girls of yours! my girl gives just over 2 lbs....

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i would get that too....I get just over 2 lbs in the morning. baby gets her the rest of the day. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
15 pounds per doe, on average. Takes me a little bit longer if they have itty bitty teats.
Aha! So that's how you do it! Ours have tiny teats. :mad: I'm guessing most of your beautiful, confomationally correct does have decent sized teats.
We usually get a bit less per milking, though.:eek:

I'm feeling rather ignorant here about production though. I've just heard here and there that generally it's considered average for a good dairy animal to give a gallon or so a day, milking twice. Our does' dams (we were told) had champion bloodlines of some kind (not sure what) and they gave over two gallons a day. But I have no idea what age they were when they were giving that much.
We were newbies, and were impressed.:D
Now ours give around 2 gallons a day or more milking twice, and this is their 4th freshening. Is that even "a lot", or is it just fair?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Aha! So that's how you do it! Ours have tiny teats. :mad: I'm guessing most of your beautiful, confomationally correct does have decent sized teats

Now ours give around 2 gallons a day or more milking twice, and this is their 4th freshening. Is that even "a lot", or is it just fair?
My does have palm size teats. 15lbs a day is normal for my FF's.

Normally age isn't too much of a factor. Their production does go up with more freshening, but not too much.

2 gallons is good. I normally don't keep them if they are much less than that.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
IDK if it was what we were feeding or what, but ours have gone up quite a bit in production since their first time. First year it was around 3/4 gallon a day, now we're up to over 2 most of the time. :shrug:

·
Registered
30,613 Posts
three of our ladies (2 saanen and one lamancha) give a gallon her milking...we milk them twice a day..Most my other lamancha give 3/4 gallon a milking and my Nubian give considerably less at a 1/2 gallon per milking....I can milk one out in about 3-5 minutes..depends who it is..( Daisy, Saanen, has one tight orphus..so takes a bit longer)...I enjoy th ehand milking..the quiet time spent with the girls...I take forever in thebarn because everyone gets brushed out lol..sometimes one of my kids will come looking for me lol..Most days now my girls do the milking..but I still get to do all the brushings : )

1 - 20 of 35 Posts