The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We use a wire rack on our pickup truck. I find its easier to get around the mountians that way but where that isn't an issue or you don't own a PU a small trailer works great. I like to provide a rubber mat or piece of plywood on the floor to keep the goats from sliding around.

·
Registered
98 Posts
in the past we have hauled ours in the back of our jeep... we just put a tarp down to help on controlling any mess... but we have a small pickup bedliner that we plan on using instead of the tarp the next time we have to haul them anywhere. Hope to one day have a truck with a topper or a trailer to haul them in though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the "goat suite" as I call it. It wasn't the cheapest thing but I like it so far. Just wished I had larger truck so I could haul more goats. It is only a 6ft bed. But works good for 4. Could squeeze in more on short hauls. It is a modified canopy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hasligrove said:
I have the "goat suite" as I call it.
Hi Rachel, Welcome to the forum! I just wanted to say that has got to be the nicest goat setup I've seen on a pickup and I've seen a bunch of them. I really like the pannels on the side so you can open the windows and not get any goats sticking their heads out. Very Nice!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah...spoiled boys...my only problem now is....so many goats...not enough room. My 6 kids won't all fit when they get older. I have a small travel trailer I like to take for over night (I got soft...with my human 2yr old kid with me...tent camping takes a lot out of me...and it is cold) so how do I haul more goats? Well I guess everyone won't always be able to go...we will cross that bridge later.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I have a box built out of cattle panel in the back of my Chev Astro Van. The goats loveit and it is lined with heavy duty ttruck tarp so nothin gets through to the floor.

The goats love to ride inside with the humans. Smells pretty ripe in there when we get there but that's what Febreeze is for. :lol:

I'm shopping for a large van that I can put my goat box in and also have room for a bed and shelf for totally enclosed camping.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After years of dreaming, last spring for Mother's day I finally got a 14 foot long, 7 foot wide cargo trailer to haul my goats! Along with that I finally traded in my old truck and got a Chevy Suburban to haul the trailer, my children and large groups of their friends. I haul hay in the trailer now instead of the back of the truck. The trailer has a rhino lining all the way up, so it is like a bathtub and can easily be scrubbed out. We had it made so that it sits higher, I think we switched the front and back axels or some such thing? Randy would know... We had extra vents and windows put in and ties along the sides so the goats can be tied if need be, but I don't always tie them for the shorter trips. There is plenty of room in the front for all of our gear on the way too and from the trailhead and plenty of room for the goats on the road.

It isn't as cool looking as Rachel's set up, but 4 of my big boys really would be crammed in the back of a pickup truck and sometimes we haul them a long way so I wanted them to have room. Also, I wanted to be able to take 6 or 8 goats in case I was hauling friend's goats or just adding more for when friends join us on the trail. This rig gives me flexibility, which is really great. It was pricey though so I cannot highly recommend it cost wise!!!

Charlie Goggin
Lightfoot Packgoats

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since I have horses, I use my horse trailer to haul my goats if I'm taking all of them, but if I'm only taking one or two I just put them in the back of my truck. My shell doesn't have a rear gate so the goats have to be tied in, hence only two at a time. But it was free so can't complain too loudly.
Charlie Goggin has the nicest setup with her trailer, hey can you post pictures? :) :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an old double horse trailer that I had to rebuild. It's a single axel no brakes but it doesn,t weigh much. Had to put new floor in it and do a bunch of welding to get it stuck back together. New tires and a spare. Took middle divider out and put 6 eye bolts along the sides. I take double clips and small sections of small chain to hook the goats to. I can change the length of tether with these. The front is divided side to side with a small door for access. This has room for the spare tire and most of the other road camp stuff. It has a fold down rear door that works great for loading. Steve

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have an old trailer made from the bed of a pickup with a camper shell on it. The bed is long, the camper shell is short. So there's an area in front of the camper shell to store stuff where I can put leashes, a can of alfalfa pellets, water, and feed pans. I don't tie the goats up in the trailer. They just lay down when we start rolling. There's a rubber bed liner inside, and some wood shavings to soak up pee.
Here's a pic.
[attachment=0:1ph1q18m]n_a[9].jpg[/attachment:1ph1q18m]

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
New to forum, but we are beginners in goat packing We put together a trailer found on our property, to be redesigned next spring. But it works for our short trips. Is an old motorcycle trailer someone put a wood box on. We found a old stock type box for a small size truck and threw it on, It will be re design it as we have discovered what is needed for goats, and supplies, tack.
Its not perty, but works. lol. Would like a pickup some day tho, as the work van wont pull the local tall mountains too well, so have been hiking on the lower parts. Hope to get to the top meadows next year.[attachment=0:mn7sgy6o]Goattransportation.jpg[/attachment:mn7sgy6o]

Well we have been able to upgrade to a 1984 Diesel Ford F 250 and a older ford bed for a trailer, now just need some sides (wire etc. to keep'em from jumping out lol) and we will be ready to go... Have a canopy on my truck but I do think the goats & horns are a bit taller than the height of the canopy. So plan on gear & human hikers in truck, goats in trailer, all though would like to design a way to keep the rain/snow off them while driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
If we are taking all our goats, then we use our double wide horse trailer, if only a few goats, they they go in the back of the van with a tarp and blankets down. We will be looking for a little larger stock trailer to haul them in, in a few years.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.