The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about what others are using to haul their packgoats. I'm curious because in another year or two I'd like to upgrade and I'm looking for creative/economical ideas. I haul mine in the back of a 1981 Toyota pickup with a canopy (camper shell) using rubber mats and wood shavings in the back, with tie-offs in the corners for the trouble makers (the ones who like to pick on the others). I hired my friend to build a rack over the top covered in plywood so I'd have room for my gear, which I put in plastic bins and strap-down. The platform also shades the camper-shell and keeps it a lot cooler inside for the goats. So... goats in back, gear on top, girl and dog in front. It's worked great actually, even on little gravel back-roads in the mountains - but it's not a 4WD so I try to stick to dry back-roads. We've made it to the Sierras and Oregon the last two summers. Goats tie-off well to the rack too, and I've slept up on top of the rack at times :)

I want to upgrade eventually because I eventually want more goats, and 3 goats is the max for this poor little truck, it's only a half ton 4-cylinder. I considered getting a small utility trailer for it and pulling the goats in that, but though that might slow the truck down even more... I'd love to see/hear what you're using for your goats, or ideas and advice, including puling trailers (nice to be trailer-free though for the dirt roads). Here are a couple photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
In our car!

We just have one goat and initially bought a small used trailer for him, but decided that it would just be too hard to pull on rough roads to small trailheads. We decided instead to get a Honda Element, which has a hose-able polyurethane floor. My husband created a wire screen that protects the back of the passenger seat and seat belts from chewing, we put a perforated rubber mat on the floor, and pop him up in there. Works fine, but obviously not a good choice for anyone with more than one goat.

We also like to see what he's up to when we're on the road!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Awesome truck. Perfect little traveling vehicle. Roof would be good for under the stars and cap for inclement weather. used to live out of ford ranger when I had it. I don't have a goat yet but will be hauling him in the back of subaru wagon. no trailer kinda like gretch said. Just one for me too eventually, once i figure more of my life out

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wordman - what model Subaru do you have? We hauled our goat in our Impreza Outback Sport for a year, but he got too big to fit (mostly a height issue), so we switched it out for the Honda Element, which gives him more room (and we do like the ability to hose it out when we get home!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts