The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first birth/new born experience.... it doesn’t seem that baby is on the teat very long .... literally seconds. She Is about 15 hrs old now. She has peed, pooped, walking around and climbed on momma but does not spend time eating. I have tried to get her to go on momma and when I interfere baby doesn’t seem to like it very much. Momma gets her up to eat and pushes her that way but she seems to only suckle like 5 seconds tops. She still seems to have trouble finding it and stay there. I have tried to squirt milk at her to stimulate her .

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
nursing for a few seconds at a time is normal, feel the belly, if it is sunken in and empty, it is, if it is slightly round and firm it is full, also weigh her daily just to see

·
Registered
550 Posts
I too have had kids that suck for what seems like fractions of a second. They all grew up way too fast. Sounds like things are going fine. A hungry, unfed kid will often be lethargic and whiny.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Sounds okay! They don't nurse like a human baby or puppies or kittens at all. Quick and frequent. Unless she is wandering around hollering the hungry cry, or later lethargic, I wouldn't worry. It really sounds like she is doing great if she is already climbing on mama. Those that vehemently oppose help nursing have usually had enough to eat.

·
8,393 Posts
Because goats are prey animals, they had to nurse and run. Standing and nursing until full might result in becoming somethings dinner. And a full kid can't run fast. So they do the snatch and grab type nursing, then mom pushes them away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts