How do you know?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by logansmommy7, Mar 7, 2011.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    If your area is selenium deficient? HOpe this isn't a redundant question, but I've been seeing lots of people say-if your area is selenium deficient-and I haven't seen how you might know?? :whatgoat:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    So, in my area it registers at like 0.22...how deficient is that? It is kind of in the middle of the range.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm in an area considered deficient but I've never had any reason to feel the need to give Selenium supplements...IDK, my goats get free choice minerals a goat specific feed and local hay and I've never seen any of the issues with newborns that would have me give Selenium. Selenium, just like other sometimes toxic minerals should be given with extreme care...unless your herd shows signs of deficiency such as weak hindlegs, knuckling fetlocks, retained placentas, lack of heats or head deformities in new borns then I would just supplement with what they already have in minerals... I tend to go by the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" rule.

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Thanks Liz-I like that motto as well. I gave our kids born two weeks ago selenium because they were weak legged...our only other kidding-the babies came out strong-but these had a bit of a traumatic birth. Oh well...

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Does anyone know what the plus or minus data means on this map? My county says 0.14 +/- .04. That would mean a range of 0.10-0.18 it seems to me. Does that sound right? I didn't see an explanation of it on the page. And some of the counties have plus or minus ranges bigger than the actual average amount they say is there. So what would that mean? One I looked at (very dark blue) in Colorado said 1.08 +/-1.70. So what on earth does that mean?

Jan