How do you leave the kids on and milk too???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by peggy, Dec 13, 2010.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    When I had goats before, I always bottled fed them. So I could milk the does and had ready access to the milk. Now new to goats again, I wish to leave the babies on their mothers but would like to milk them also so I have some milk too. Does any one out there do this and how do you manage???

2. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    In my experience I don't try to milk the mom until the kids are at least two weeks old. At which point I will give it an attempt, but even then I typically don't bother until the kid are a full month old.

I will start by separating the kids from mom for a few hours a day, then transition to overnight when they are between 4 and 6 weeks old. I will then start milking mom in the am, then let the kids be on her all day (so I only milk one time a day until the kids are weaned).

I am sure others will provide a slightly better description...

3. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I think most people seperate the kids away from the mother during the night or day (night most common) and milk them out once daily then let the kids back with their mother. The most important question is does the doe have sufficient milk to feed the kids and you?

4. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    From what I understand they take the kids away at night and then milk 1st thing in the morning and put the kids back with the dam when they are done. I didn't think they start doing this until the kids were 4 to 6 weeks old. I personally, have never done milking but when I do (because I sure plan too :thumb: )this is along the lines of what I plan to do. I would also really like to hear how other people handle this aswell :greengrin:

5. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    lol what they said :slapfloor: This is what I get for being a slow typer :doh:

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I separate at night once the kids are around 3-4 weeks old, usually from about 8 pm to 4 30 am, milk mama's leaving enough for the kids to get breakfast, they are with their moms from 5am throughout the day til night, after a few nights of separation, they seem to adjust to not being able to reach mom, I have a stall that I lock kids into so they can see and hear her and can touch noses but they can't nurse. A doe peaks in production between 6 and 8 weeks, by the time my kids are 8 weeks they are penned at night for 12 hours so I can get a good fill on mom and see what her production is after 12 hours.

7. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Well I plan on starting twice a day milking the day after kids are born with no seperation of kids from mom. This worked well for my mother when she raised goats many years ago and I'm hoping it will work well for me too. The one doe that I have in milk at the moment I've milked just once a day and didn't pull her kid at all. She hasn't produced a ton, but wasn't in top condition when I got her home. I expect to get at least 1/2 gallon a day out of her next spring on top of what she feeds her kids. I'll let you know how this works for me next year...lol

8. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Be careful with that plan. If you milk her twice a day, her kids may not get enough to eat, especially if she has multiples, such as triplets.

9. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Thanks for the warning. I'll keep an eye on that.

10. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I've been told that with some breeds you can just leave the kids on the doe all the time and still get some milk for yourself. But with my FF Nigerian, her kid drank it all. When he was a week or two old I started using teat tape during the night and milking in the morning. He got the day milk. Then he learned how to pull the teat tape off and I had to separate them.

11. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    These are all interesting comments. I wanted to milk once a day but because my little barn is not set up so that I can seperate the kids at night when they are older then this presents a problem. So, Milkmaid..... I find your comment most interesting about leaving the kids on all the time. I assume that you mean that you can just milk at regular intervals and not seperate the kids at all????

12. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    You can do this, but only if the doe has extra to give. My FF S. Saanen was sucked dry by her kids, even though she was producing over a gallon a day. She simply didn't have any left for me to milk out when the kids were on her.

13. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

You can do this, but only if the doe has extra to give. My FF S. Saanen was sucked dry by her kids, even though she was producing over a gallon a day. She simply didn't have any left for me to milk out when the kids were on her.[/quote:bx0xcgru]

I was told that by someone who has Alpines. Never had any experience with it myself though.

14. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I milk my does from the day they kid...however, I don't start keeping the milk until the kids are about 2 weeks old because milk with colostrum in it is nasty. Most dairy does produce much more than the kids will drink in the begining so milking them keeps pressure off the udder and keeps production up. If you milk from the very begining the doe will consistently produce more milk than the kids need (unless she has more than 2 babies)...so more milk for you!

Anyway, for the first two-three weeks I milk 2 times a day and then I start to separate the kids at night and switch to once a day in the morning. If you don't separate there will be less milk but you should still get SOME using this method unless the doe allows the kids to be total piglets.

15. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks again. I think that is what I will do, although like I mentioned I will have to section off part of the barn to seperate the kids for the night. My doe is an alpine and she is a first freshener but she comes from heavy milk lines so she should have lots of milk. I am very excited for the babies to come......

Question?? FunnyRiverFarm. When you milk the doe do you milk her right out at the time or do you leave a bit for the kids??

16. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I milk out as much as I can because generally what's left in the udder is what the kids weren't able to finish and often the does will hold back some of their milk anyway...within a couple of hours after milking she will have enough in her udder to provide another big meal if they are hungry.

After I begin to separate the kids, I will offer a bottle in the morning before the go back in with their mommas...sometimes they take it and sometimes not. They always try to nurse as soon as they get to their moms and there is always enough milk (that the mom held back) for them to get a few sips and then they go off and nibble on hay. I have never heard a kid cry out of hunger using this method and they always grow out well so I am sure they are getting all they need.

17. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks, I think I will follow your plan. Sounds like it would work for me.