The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how to make yogurt but I have never tried making flavored yogurt. Oneof the 3 children who recently moved in with us likes vanilla yogurt. I assume to make vanilla yogurt you just add vanilla extract, but how much and anything else? Also, she has mentioned butter several times. Is making butter difficult and what is the best way to go about it (including cheapest). I have a feeling she just wants to churn some butter for fun.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've not tried making butter with goat milk. Cows milk a few times but I hear it's a little more effort with goat milk. Hopefully someone with that experience will chime in.

As for flavoring yogurt - do it to taste. If you're starting with a gallon of milk, the yogurt you get from that, start by flavoring with 1 teaspoon, mix it good and see if that's good enough. If you're trying to recreate store bought vanilla, you'll likely need 2-3 teaspoons and sugar but you can always add to it to make the child happy.

You can also flavor the milk before you make it. When you do your heating of the milk for the yogurt, you can put in whole split beans and scraped out seeds. It will be a more pure vanilla flavor but may not be what your child is used to as its slightly different from regular vanilla (depends on how picky your child is)

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
I skim the cream from jars of milk that has set in the fridge at least 24 hours... place it in a freezer bag or container until theres at least a pint. The easiest and less messy way to get butter is to thaw the cream in the fridge, let it set out at room temp for an hour and scrape it all into a quart size jar with a tight fitting lid then shake the tar out of it until you feel lumps bouncing around in the jar.... pour off the buttermilk and replace it with very cold water...shake enough to rinse the butter, pour off and repeat until the water is clear...dump the butter onto a chilled plate and smear it around to expell any left over liquid, salt to taste and you've got some very good home made goats milk butter :)

A stand mixer is quicker but can be messy with the splashing :)

·
Adopted by Goats
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. This is the first time consuming homegrown goat's milk. I have had commercial before but no one else in the family has. I am hoping that I am able make stuff with Bambi's milk that everyone will like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.