How do you make your herd accredited TB/Brucellosis free????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    How do you make your herd accredited TB/Brucellosis free???? Because some shows require TB/Brucellosis tests within 30 days, and tht will break my bank. How do you get an accredited (sp?) free herd???

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

These tests you have to go through the vet. A friend of mine is doing this now because she is becoming a certified dairy.
    beth

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I know, but how do you get your whole herd certified free? Do you have to get everyone tested? :shrug:

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I can't remember where, but I think it was mentioned on GW that to be TB/Brucellosis free, you had to sign up for some government thing and test twice a year. From what I read, it wasn't a good idea since it would be easier for somebody to accidently get mixed up in NAIS against their will.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    And also, the chances of goats getting TB or Brucellosis are very slim, they mostly affect cattle :wink:

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I know, i think it is all overblown! But I really want to go to a show in SC but they require TB and Brucellosis testing unless they come from certified free herds. :veryangry:

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Is it just one particular show? Or several shows?

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I believe you have to go through the USDA or something like that. yes the entire herd has to be tested to become certified. I believe you have to establish yourself as a closed herd too. but im not sure on that. I will call vicky later and see. Though she is being certified to be a dairy. I would call the show secretary and see what they require. Because if your going to show obviously you can't classify yourself as a closed herd. I know legally they have to have a TB test to cross state lines. Could this be what they are trying to enforce?

beth